B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1999 A4 HID conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:36 AM
Default 1999 A4 HID conversion

Hey, i have a 1999 A4 that I want to do an HID conversion to. I have the first 99 that did not come with projector headlamps. I am about to purchase a kit and was wondering if anyone has done this conversion for my model and had any problems with headlight sensor. I'm not sure if I need the error code eliminator adapter if I were to do the conversion. Any suggestions or answers would be much appreciated.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:48 AM
4th Gear

no... i have a 96 and no codes have been thrown for me... no flickering or anything... they work great.. go for it... just be warned, if u live in cali anything above 8000k is illegal

Old 12-17-2009, 10:45 AM
2nd Gear

Uh, they're all illegal, but anything above 6000K makes you a douchebag. And anything above 4300K lowers the amount of light output that you get.

You NEED projectors for HID (unless you do a D2R setup, which isn't good and would still take some work). Otherwise you will not only blind other drivers with the glare, you won't get a good light output. It will be crap. Projectors don't just keep other drivers safe. They also put the light where it needs to go, making driving more safe for you as well.

Please check out http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

There are Hella brand projectors that you can buy for like $50/ea that work decently with HID. They're meant for, IIRC, H9 halogen lamps. But H9 projectors often work fairly well with HID. You will need ballasts and a wiring adapter as well, and they would need to be retrofitted in the lights which you can read about at HIDplanet. I got my HID stuff from http://store.theretrofitsource.com/ but they don't carry those cheap Hellas so you'd need to look elsewhere I suppose.

Last edited by dragonrage; 12-17-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:14 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Uh, they're all illegal, but anything above 6000K makes you a douchebag.
Well there you have it folks WE ARE ALL DOUCHEBAGS! I guess all the cool kids drive stock Audis like you, you ******* *** hat. You don't even have HID's man quit posting your bookworm bullshit! Seriously it's getting old man this is a tuner site **** off.....

OP You should be just fine. HID kits are guna be way brighter than the stocker halogens. I had 8K's at first and now run the 12K's in all three of my rigs

Last edited by Beer Mod; 12-17-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear

I've actually got some FX-R projectors for my G8. Why does it matter if my Audi is stock or not? This is not a thread to discuss my Audi. Yes, your 12k HIDs make you a douchebag.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:27 PM
3rd Gear

here we go again.....for real, the last HID thread was destroyed because of **** like this.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
I've actually got some FX-R projectors for my G8. Why does it matter if my Audi is stock or not? This is not a thread to discuss my Audi. Yes, your 12k HIDs make you a douchebag.
This is a tuner site, we are supposed to be the ones pushing the envelope not doing exactly what the book states! Live a little you need to lighten up man!

8K's look sick I don't understand what you issue is here? So what if there not as bright, there still 2X brighter than what stock is!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:01 AM
1st Gear

Im actually going for the DDM 55W 6k H7 Kit. Anyone have any input, i've done a lot of research and im looking for a crisp more or less white light, with a possible slight blue tint. Im not big on the blue color. Im looking for some insight as to weather the 6k or 8k's will be best, 55w vs. 35w. Im thinking 55w, cause thats what my halogenes are right now. I've got projector style headlamps. I've also heard that its a direct plug and play. A little confused about that, since i know that every wiring harness on every car isnt doesnt have the same multiplug shape, so how is it plug and play if I dont even't have to specify make and model on DDM website? Any help greatly appriciated. And anyone who wants to bitch about this is NOT welcome, i will have correct cut off.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:08 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Beer Mod
This is a tuner site, we are supposed to be the ones pushing the envelope not doing exactly what the book states! Live a little you need to lighten up man!

8K's look sick I don't understand what you issue is here? So what if there not as bright, there still 2X brighter than what stock is!!!!!!
They glare more. Look at a red LED in the dark and look at a blue LED in the dark. Tell me which one glares more. Not a problem if you have proper projectors but when you're telling someone to put them in an improper setup, it is a total disregard for other drivers on the road.

Even the stock halogen projectors that some of us have are crap for HIDs. The only halogen projectors that can work decent with HID are H9/H11 projectors. Not H7. They will be far better than a normal reflector setup but it will still suck. The bulb is kept in a different position between these. H9/H11 bulbs in their projectors give off a similar light dispersal to HIDs, so they generally work pretty well.

Originally Posted by ObnoxiousDrunk
here we go again.....for real, the last HID thread was destroyed because of **** like this.
Good, because any thread advocating HID kits ought to be destroyed. You guys just don't care about what you're doing to other drivers.

Last edited by dragonrage; 12-18-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

lol dragon youre really doing this again?.....
You should do what you want to your car! If beermod likes 12k thats his opinion. Personally (and others would prob agree) 8000k looks badass. They have a good blue / white balance.
Can we please just stop the bitching about this tho? Its getting old

Quick Reply: 1999 A4 HID conversion