B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1999 A4 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:43 AM
1st Gear
Default 1999 A4 Problems

I just bought a 1999 A4 1.8T, and there seems to be quite a bit of problems, and I would really like a rough estimate on prices so I know if I should work on the problems myself and/or how much a garage should charge me...

1. The engine light is on, and AutoZone's system says that it is a defective catalytic converter. I was wondering how easy that is to replace and how much they cost if I buy one from say, AutoZone.
2. There is a tremendous metal-on-metal grinding sound whenever I brake (coming from the front right), and I think its the caliper/motor/bushing. How much would it usually cost to get those replaced?
3. The driver side door doesn't lock/unlock electronically. I have to turn the key in the keyhole in order to lock/unlock it. What do you think the problem could be, and how much do you think it would cost to fix.
4. The seller only gave me a valet key, so I can't even open the trunk with the key. How much would it cost to get a new set of master keys cut that have remote entry as well.

This is my first Audi, and since I'm no longer on my parents' dime, this is also my first car that I bought myself, so I really would appreciate any help that you care to offer.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:16 AM

For the cat visit ecs tuning and plug your info in. Your looking at around $350 for an oem cat. Autozone?? You just will have to call on that .

Your door switch sounds to be faulty. I just did mine but what happened was the wires to the switch plug were rotted. I couldn't believe it actually so I had a spare switch and plug and just did some cutting. I would just get a used switch off of the classifieds here or check on ebay. Removal of the door panel is necessary for this. There are a couple of screws hiding in the door handle facing the window. One near the same spot but facing the rear of the car (if door is closed) and one easily visable at the top near the window. As soon as you open the door you can see this screw. Lift up and out clearing the door lock ****. Don't pull too far out your bowens cable (or air tube) will still be hooked up. Just let it rest and you can get to your door lock switch. Take a screw driver and push on two tabs to pop it out.

Check the brake pad on that side. Might be grounded to crap. If not then yes sounds like a seized up caliper or its sticking.

Your keys I believe will be expensive. $70 to $100 a key I think. You will have to call your local Audi dealer (Service/Parts) and just ask. They will have to program the key so It's something you will need to take your car in. You can do it yourself actually but that is an option.

Last edited by Interceptor; 03-12-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

Man, just had the mechanic check everything out.
-Front right brake caliper/rotor/pad - 555
-Leak in Flex pipe - 389
-2 control arms for the front - 449
-Rear brakes - 225, but I should be able to do this myself right?
-Catalytic converter - 450, rough estimate, not sure if the check engine is b/c of flex pipe or cat converter. Autozone said cat converter, but mechanic said leak in flex pipe.
-A/C Belt - didn't get a quote, but is this the same as a serpentine belt? If not, how much is it usually to get this fixed?
-Brake boots - didn't get a quote, but this should be able to be done by myself right?

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:13 PM

Did you take it to a full Audi dealer for these quotes? Ugh yes those can add up badly. These cars can easily do that, it's important to keep these maintained even if you seem to shell out money over the long run instead of a shocker like this. I would get these parts yourself, and take it to a certified mechanic and get a labor quote. Might save you some, because they might be marking it up with parts. This does sound about right if its a stealership.

Last edited by Interceptor; 03-12-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 PM

I just did a search on ecs tuning for your parts on the brakes for example.

Front Right Caliper---$148.95 with $55 refundable core
Plain brake rotor---$85
Front brake pads without sensor (Mintex Red)---$48

So Less then $300 for the parts and there is no way that a certified mechanic will have trouble with your parts and labor and also it will not cost $255 in labor. If it does drive away.

Flex pipe---$55...lots of labor markup

You can see where I'm going. Just get the parts if you can and do the math. You might sleep a little easier tonight .

Last edited by Interceptor; 03-12-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:12 PM
2nd Gear

yea man i agree with these guys.. check out getting the parts through all the means you know how, classifieds/online sites etc.. then look for a local audi/vw shop for the labor.. i had a bad rear wheel speed sensor.. for a new one thru my mechanic who is awesome was gunna be near 200.. and i got it off ebay brand new for 70.. turns out the size was incorrect even though the chart on the auction said it was the right one.. but my mechanic just kinda smashed it in.. it went in tight but it works.. hahaha the point is, def see what you can do for parts/work yourself then look to them for the labor on the harder stuff you might not be able to do on your own.. good luck man, welcome to the 4 rings.. in some instances they represent the number of holes that seem to have magically appeared in your wallet after you bought this car =) just keep up on the work as it comes along after you get caught up and youll love these cars

Old 03-14-2009, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

Hope you got it cheap! The repairs suck, but you gotta do them. Depending on how good you are with a wrench, you could do everything with a pair of ramps, but it'll be a pain. If you are going to do the work yourself, invest in a Bentley Repair Manual on DVD. It'll pay for itself many times over.

How many miles are on the car? Has the timing belt been changed? If not or you don't know, get that done before anything else. The '99 model year had a problem with the timing belt tensioner failing. If that happens, you'll need to rebuild the head or get a used one.