B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2.8 Magnaflow 14816 Exhaust Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 03:48 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.8 Magnaflow 14816 Exhaust Review

Whats up guys n gal,

Today i got my new Magnaflow 14816 muffler installed with the mid-muffler deleted. Im just writing up a quick review for any one still looking for more on the subject. I am going to try and get some pics up but i have alot of nuclear chemistry to do later.

INSTALL COST - I Bought $200 worth of Flowmaster 2.50inch 'S' Bends, Magnaflow 14816 universal muffler and got the install job done for $230. Just forget about buying the piping because #1 its way cheaper for them to charge you for their own pipes and #2 i diddent get the right bends so my tips stuck out more that i would have liked them to.

Sound - Loud, Loud When your on the gas. Quiet when you are cruzing in the correct gear. At idle it sounds like the engine is making love under the hood and thanking you every second for the install. Drone is moderate, if your driving your car to work everyday then with out a dought leave the mid muffler in...it will drive you nutz.

Performance - Slightly more throttle response, seems to pick up a little faster, you seem to hit 5000 rpm quicker. There is no dought that an intake and this exhaust will greatly reduce the 'dead spot' known in the 2.8's between around 2000-3500 rpm when power seems to choke out. Does it make HP? Maby a few horses but nothing big at all. Creates a much more enjoyable power curve for sure thow.

Tips - I hated the tips after the install. If i were to do it again i would pick a muffler with different tips. The 14816 look a little 'ricer'

Over look - The drone will make you want to stay in the correct gear and coast more often because even thow the sound makes you want to wet your pants the drone in the cabin will get annoying anything more than an afternoon doggin on the road with friends (aka long trips, commutes) I love the system except for the tip witch i will be changing out soon. This set up will turn alot of heads so expect some attention...and that meens cop too....so kinda dont speed where it is a bad idea, you know what i meen? where ever you give it speed where your not saposed to because its hard for cops to guage how fast your going, dont. Save it for open roads. You will truly enjoy this upgrade.Im gonna go play with my Esabell right now.All this typing has made me wanna drive.+1 in my book.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2.8 Magnaflow 14816 Exhaust Review

hey so did you just take it to a muffler shop and have them put up 2.5 inch pipeing from the cataltic conveter to the mufler

Old 05-31-2008, 05:50 PM
4th Gear

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]/sound clip

I just installed a vibrant resonator in place of the restrictive stocker. Now I'm really loving the exhaust note, sounds like a R34 with a little more bass. My gas mileage has suffered though cause I keep flooring it.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:20 AM
1st Gear

oh well i got an a4 2.8 and im gunna order a muffler and have somone run 2.5 inch piping back from the cat to the muffler im probabley gunna just get rid of the resinator

Old 06-01-2008, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

No i had from the Y pipe to the tips replaced.

Update - i cant believe it but there is a god dam dent in the piping just before the muffler. the ****** guy must have dented it to move it around a bushing only to realize that the dent was not needed. This is insane, it totally defeates the purpose of the exhaust...i payed good money to get what i wanted and i got nothing that i wanted....a rag tag bullshit muffler shop could have done a better job. I figured GoodYear would have some good guys but i guess not.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:10 AM
6th Gear

that'll happen sometimes, sorry to hear about your dent.

Got any audio clips???

Me personally I am looking for an exhaust that keeps the resonator but deletes the Cats. on my car my cats are dead and I just want to straight pipe them instead of spending the money on two new cats for such an old car. (and I don't have e-check in Ohio)

Old 06-01-2008, 11:46 AM

i got magnaflow 91035 (2.25ID w/ a single sensor boss) from ebay for less than 150 for both sidesshipped to my door so it can be done reasonably

Old 06-01-2008, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

is it okay if you cut off the catalatic converter and the resinator i mean i live n florida and theres no emision check ?

Old 06-01-2008, 11:21 PM
1st Gear

im not sure christian, you have to check locally.

Another update, unless you use your A4 simply for racing (witch isnt what you should be doing if you have a 2.8) this thing has WAY to much drone. its one like the third day and getting bac n forth from work is making me deaf. i need to do something about this....

Old 05-17-2012, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

If i replace only the muffler itself. No cat or resonator delete. Do you think my car will gain a noticable change in sound response ? Thanks

Quick Reply: 2.8 Magnaflow 14816 Exhaust Review