B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2001 2.8L Heating problems...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 03:42 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 2.8L Heating problems...

With the Heat on Hi in my wifes 01 2.8L A4 it just blows straight cold air. I have searched and two of the main common occurrences are thermostat and clogged heater core. I know its not the T-Stat because its functioning properly(upper radiator hose gets hot, and temperature runs consistent). The car has 85k on the clock, is it possible for the heater core to already be clogged or should I spend my time some where else? Any tips would be great!!!

Old 11-18-2010, 04:15 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by tiffo60
With the Heat on Hi in my wifes 01 2.8L A4 it just blows straight cold air. I have searched and two of the main common occurrences are thermostat and clogged heater core. I know its not the T-Stat because its functioning properly(upper radiator hose gets hot, and temperature runs consistent). The car has 85k on the clock, is it possible for the heater core to already be clogged or should I spend my time some where else? Any tips would be great!!!
clean the heater core theres been alot of diy's on these forums on how to do it there been 100 post abt this in the past week

Old 11-18-2010, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Andrew149
clean the heater core theres been alot of diy's on these forums on how to do it there been 100 post abt this in the past week
I have found the write-ups on flushing the heater core and I intend to do it, just seeing if there is anything else to check if thats not it. Most the cars that seem to have heater core related problem are real high mileage and I only have 85k on it. Didnt know if it was a common problem under 100k miles..

Old 11-18-2010, 04:33 PM
3rd Gear

I have found the write-ups on flushing the heater core and I intend to do it, just seeing if there is anything else to check if thats not it. Most the cars that seem to have heater core related problem are real high mileage and I only have 85k on it. Didnt know if it was a common problem under 100k miles..
if your that low of milliage just clean it your golden its just because of age is why all these a4's are having the issue now report back on how it works

Old 11-18-2010, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Andrew149
if your that low of milliage just clean it your golden its just because of age is why all these a4's are having the issue now report back on how it works
Doing it tonight so I will report in the a.m.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:35 PM
2nd Gear

Miles have nothing to do with a heater core. Only age. Why would the heater core care how many miles you've traveled?

Old 11-18-2010, 04:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Miles have nothing to do with a heater core. Only age. Why would the heater core care how many miles you've traveled?
The higher the mileage the more coolant and crap that has cycled through it? My reasoning maybe way off though lol

Old 11-18-2010, 04:37 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
only reason because of the coolent age the hotter its been heated up and blaw blaw blaw age and time of use of the coolent but less milliage the less use of the coolent but anyways

I would do a coolent flush pick up some red coolent from the dealer

Old 11-18-2010, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

Mileage doesn't much play a role in this. A good indicator for the heater core blockage is the condition of the coolant in the expansion tank. If there is rust colored crud on the walls of the tank or worse chunks, then that is the source of the problem.

I haven't read the DIY's but if you are not successfull or only slightly improve heating that does not mean you have a different problem necessarily.

"no gracias, sus tamales hizo mierde en mi pantaolones. Mucho diarrea en mi chones, donde esta el bano!"

Old 11-18-2010, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

well the heater core wasnt the problem, it was clean. But I did find a random hose in the area of the heater hose's that wasn't connected to anything, any idea what this goes to?

Quick Reply: 2001 2.8L Heating problems...