B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

4.2L V8 swap into my 2001 B5 A4 [Pics+Vid]

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:02 AM
1st Gear
Default 4.2L V8 swap into my 2001 B5 A4 [Pics+Vid]

So i've been away from audiforums for a while, been really busy, but here is my build that i've been working on for the later half of the summer.

I have a 2000 A6 4.2L engine with 62k miles. The V8 aluminum block weighs less than the cast iron S4 v6, so handling will still be good. It is the drive by wire engine so it will be virtually a direct plug and play with my 2001 drive by wire chassis because all of the plugs are the same. I have the ECU and the entire wiring harness that came with the complete motor assembly...

Did a test fit to see if it is possible to mount the V8 onto my 5spd trans. IT IS! this means that i am not going to need to modify any of my driveline.

To make it work I used an S4 flywheel spacer so that the crank position sensor lined up with the RS4 flywheel and clutch. With that all in place the 5 speed clears the clutch assembly with no interference. I do still have to modify the spacer for a starter bolt hole.

RS4 Stage 3 performance clutch kit that makes everything work.

had to do some machining, got a piece made up for the trans spacer that is needed to place a hole for the starter bolts. machined it down so that its the exact thickness so that there is no strain on any of the other components. Welded the piece on and drilled a hole for the starter bolt...

gone.

$1700 OBO, 90k miles, new timing belt at 82k miles, driven softly

Truck bed liner makes it pretty

RS4 clutch and flywheel on the V8 now.

o what a wonderfull way to spend my 21st birthday, sweating and fighting with a V8

had to pull the trans because it was impossible to attach the motor with it in the car

after 4 hours of fighting to get it on success!

in we go

drive train stabilizer bar to be used as the new transmission mount

stabilizer mounted.

wooden motor mounts until i weld some up.

sitting on its own

it fits

Old 09-14-2009, 02:06 AM
1st Gear

driver side mounted up with a V8 S4 mount, and passenger side motor mount modified to work...

Motor is sitting entirely on my custom mounts...

3rd and final motor mount done... well its the torque mount that will keep everythign from twisting into a pretzel...

Torque mount tribute to the soviet tank...

...cranks over, no start yet though, need to get power to the ECU

Here are more updates... got the cooling situation figured out...

Before...

After...

Radiator moved forward 2 inches to make room for electric fans...

Hood closes...

The little room that there is for the electric fans...

Hand to cut the tips of the radiator to accept custom radiator routing... and to fit thickness wise...

Old 09-14-2009, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

Still working on the ECU power issue, for some reason it is not sensing the key on trigger, but here are more updates

Milltek downpipes, with high-flow cats

Radiator pluming done...

FM Racing Fans

Serpentine belt routing...

Old 09-14-2009, 02:08 AM
1st Gear

after living in wiring diagrams... it only took a matter of jumping power to two pins on the ECU... iphone could not handle it...

FIRST START:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9wy_aXanpg

Old 09-14-2009, 02:11 AM
4th Gear

damn.. that clutch looks like its going to eat u haha

Old 09-14-2009, 02:32 AM
2nd Gear

Video didnt work. Perhaps its just my connection, but it sat and 'loaded' the video for about ten minutes before I said fuq it. I was stoked to see it too. I'm still stoked to see it. I'm stoked to see this swap fully completed. Mad props to you sir, I wish I had the time and money to devote to a project like this.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:45 AM
4th Gear

the video was ******* MEAN.. sounded like a ****** Vette... but i did notice a lil ticking noise... what was that from?

Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
the video was ******* MEAN.. sounded like a ****** Vette... but i did notice a lil ticking noise... what was that from?

thats just my phone sucking at capturing all the sounds...

Old 09-14-2009, 09:28 AM
4th Gear

Your screen name should be more like "The Mad ******* Russian Scientist." Sick sick sick. Love the vid, love the concept, love the end result. Please keep us updated, and if you ever take it to a track, post that too.

Just wondering, any room left in there for a couple turbos, or a super? MMWWWAaaaahahahahaah!

Anyway, great work...

Old 09-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Thats incredible man. well done. Couldn't tell from the pics but did you get rid of the checker paint job? I'm excited to see it all finished up!

Quick Reply: 4.2L V8 swap into my 2001 B5 A4 [Pics+Vid]