B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

99 A4 prob ecu after jumpstart

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Location: Physically in MD, Mentally in Camp Crystal Lake (Fri 13th)
Unhappy 99 A4 prob ecu after jumpstart

Hi, My name is Jen and I am new to this forum. I just bought my first Audi and I love it. Its a 2.8L quattro with the ski package. Last night My battery died and some guy who said he knows "alot" about cars gave me a jump. He couldn't even find my battery. But He did find it and gave me a jump. As he took the cables off the cables were pulled off my car. Ever since my baby has nor been right. It stalls out if my foot is of the accelerator and the rpm's jump all over the place. it wont reach over 25mph and the Transmission is jumping from gear to gear. I am pretty sure its an ECU problem from a spike. (Got this threw research). I am a girl but I am willing try to fix it, i was just hoping that someone here would be able help me or tell me my exact peoblem and maybe a fix it. Thank you Friends of Audi Forum!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Site Moderator

It's a good thing that you indicated that you are a girl.. This way you'll be getting all kinds of help from every corner of the world With pre 2000 A4's, when the battery dies, the ecu usually needs to readapt fuel, and sort of relearn how to operate. This usually only take a few drive cycles... However, if you can't go over 25mph and it's gear hunting like crazy, that is a problem. If you can, get to autozone or advance auto parts and ask them to scan your ecu for fault codes. Record them and post back here. Even if you don't have a check engine light, do this. If you can get a ride to the store, they should let you borrow the scanner. It's possible your ecu was damaged from a spike in the jump, but I've never heard of it happening.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Guru

not to be a leg humper,and i say this to everyone that doesn't list what state at least that they live in

but if you let us know what state you live in, someone with knowledge or at least a vag com could probably scan your car for free.... or google vagcom locator and find someone in your area to help

and as i think onepoint was getting at, your ecu might not be fried, and probably is not cause the car would not start if that was the case, but something else electrical might be

Old 07-18-2010, 11:32 PM

Thank you guys so much for your quick responses. I tried searching the site (being a noob) but didnt find anything. It's really difficult finding an honest mechanic. I recently graduated from college and I moved to a place near D.C. for a job and I don't know anybody around here. I am 350 miles from home and right now my only option might be to try and fix it myself. You guys are awesome and I'll let you know about those codes. The check engine light comes on once i am driving for a little bit. I will try to get the codes tomorrow on my lunch break. Thanks again guys. If you or anyone has anymore advice on things I should look for, let me know. - Sincerely, Jen

Old 07-19-2010, 12:10 AM
4th Gear

When he jumped the car did you make sure to have the key in the ON position before you started it? If not then you might want to try that. If the ECU does not read the throttle position before being started for the first time the car will run like crap.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
When he jumped the car did you make sure to have the key in the ON position before you started it? If not then you might want to try that. If the ECU does not read the throttle position before being started for the first time the car will run like crap.
So when my car is being jumped I shouldn't just start the car? I should turn it to the "ON" position, and then start it. I am not sure if I did that, I don't think I did. If I did not what should I do, should I let the battery drain then do it again properly? Also Are those portable batteries with the jumper cable ok to use on audis? I was thinking of getting one after this debacle. Lets say that the ECU or ECM needs to readjust to its right settings is driving for a while on the beltway (highway around DC) for a bit a good idea or bad one. Right now there is no traffic and I think it will be a good way to get long range driving in so I dont have to stop, bc then it could stall. Sorry for such a long reply but I appreciate it, I really do. If anyone has advice please let me know.
Thanks,
Jen

Old 07-19-2010, 12:54 AM
Site Moderator

You can go out to the car right now and switch it to ON. Wait about a minute. During that time you may hear some clicking under the hood. That would be the throtle body checking/aligning itself. This may or may not work with your car. I think it is more likely to work with newer DBW engines. If it doesn't, I'd disconnect the battery over night and then reconnect in the morning and try again. If you were closer some people could help you out with vag com which is vw/audi diagnositc software for a laptop.

But even if you don't do all this, and the throtle alignment is the issue, it should work itself out after a few drive cycles.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 AM
4th Gear

The ndbw cars wont make any noise since the TB wont be doing a throttle cycle, that only happens on the dbw cars.

Best to just unhook the battery again, this forces the ECU into a throttle adapt mode once you hook the battery back up and turn the key on for the first time.