B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A4 2.8 quattro custom exhuast

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 03:04 PM
1st Gear
Default A4 2.8 quattro custom exhuast

Greetings audi lovers. I have a 98 audi a4 2.8 Quattro and have been searching all over for any kind of custom exhaust application. I have found a few but not what I am looking for. I know there isn't much for performance or custom applications for the 2.8 but I would really like to do my exhaust. I am looking for a schematic or any info I can get. I would like to do it from the downpipe back but cannot find just the downpipe. If anyone can do custom work for the downpipe to the flex joint and back that would be great. This may be a long shot unless you have a car to work from or know where the bends and all that are. PM me or reply to discuss. I want to do a cat delete into a a center muffler to the rear muffler. If the center muffler is not needed then I guess I don't need that. I would like to upgrade it to a 3" stainless 304 pipe no cats no Y-pipe with 2 bolt flanges in roughly the same area where the stock pinch sleeve would go. I have all the pieces of this puzzle except the pipe. No one in my area does custom exhaust. 1 place does but they don't use a mandrel to bend the pipe and that's not going to happen. I have access to a welder but not a mandrel. My biggest thing is the downpipes I can figure out the rest. Thank you in advanced

Old 02-18-2014, 04:47 PM
2nd Gear

Do you not have emissions testing where you are? The reason there aren't any aftermarket downpipes for the 2.8 is because that's where the cats are located. If you're just looking for more noise, cut out the middle resonator and replace the stock muffler with a magnaflow. You'll get some sound out of it an drop a considerable amount of weight in the process.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:40 AM
1st Gear

No i'm in Iowa. I'm not looking for more noise rather performance. It seems kind of dumb in a sense that all the options are for the 1.8t. you can get a test pipe and many aftermarket applications that delete all the emissions, I just don't see why you cant do any of this for the 2.8 exhaust to engine performance, drivetrain, suspension etc... Is there any downside to a 3" exhaust? Back pressure is not really a good thing but some engines mainly 2 strokes rely on a certain amount of back pressure. Is audi specific about this? I haven't read anything about it other than some say cutting the res out makes for a terrible sound and some say its better.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:10 AM
2nd Gear

There's absolutely no need for a 3" exhaust on a 30v, you'll just lose a bunch of torque for the ability to flow more air than the motor could push at redline, ie. useless. The stock piping is actually very good, it's thick steel with mandrel bends, better quality than pretty much any aftermarket exhaust and worlds better than anything an exhaust shop will be able to fab up unless they also have a mandrel bender. I'd start with replacing the rear muffler first, if it's too quiet then cut out the centre muffler and possibly replace it with a resonator.

EDIT: I misread, thought you said you were looking for noise not performance. You really won't be gaining anything with the exhaust on a stock 30v, maybe 5-10 hp best case scenario. Is that marginal gain really worth the cost of a full custom manifold-back exhaust?

Last edited by Mad Cow; 02-19-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

hello my name is Bob I have a 2000 a4 1.8 that currently needs a new head gasket due to over boost it make almost none untill high rpms and then boosts close to 30lbs and blown hg any ideas? n75? I am going to change the hg today and could use any hints you could give on the overboost problem sorry in advance for hyjacking the post dont know how to start one

Old 02-20-2014, 08:24 AM
1st Gear

the stock exhaust is not in the best shape. Im pretty sure the cats are plugged up at least the passenger side. I had the exhaust apart and a decent chunk of the cat fell out of the pipe. I would agree that 3" is to much so I have decided to do a 2.5" for now. The car is stock but wont be stock for much longer. I have been considering a conversion to a 1.8t just not sure what engine code and manual tranny code will work or if there is enough room to put the 2.7t in it. I have a 2001 2.7t block that I have been thinking about getting bored out to fit the 2.8 pistons. from what ive read I don't know if there will be enough room to fit the 2.7t in the engine compartment. Any advise on this would be great. thanks

Old 02-20-2014, 10:46 AM
2nd Gear

If you're thinking of swapping engines, why would you want to spend a bunch on a custom exhaust for the current engine? In regards to the other engine options, why would you think that a 2.7t wouldn't fit? The S4 is the same car with the 2.7t. My advice would be to figure out your engine plan and then proceed.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:25 AM
2nd Gear

You'll melt 2.8 pistons under boost in a very short time, either build up a proper 2.7t or don't bother. As for the 1.8t, any B5 engine or transmission code will work, hell you could even make a transverse 1.8t fit if you really wanted to. Also consider that you will need a parts car for both of those swaps unless you have access to a few junkyard cars and/or part outs. If you don't want a hack job you'll need to source a metric fuckton of small random OEM parts to make the motors fit and work properly, ask me how I know.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:07 AM
1st Gear

I'm not totally sure what I want to do at this point. I know that I need to do something with the exhaust soon. I was thinking last night to just cut part of the old exhaust out and fit what I want in there and not put to much into it. Even if I choose to convert I can still use most of the new exhaust and just fit new downpipe(s). The conversion isn't something that's going to be done right away, it was a thought. If I can find a decent deal on the 1.8t and tranny or a 2.7t and tranny then I can go from there. this car is currently my daily driver. I know a decent amount about this car and I had a a6 2.7t but when it comes down to specialty knowledge and all that i'm still gathering info on all of this. Ive already had the motor and tranny out to replace a bunch of stuff so it would actually move. Ive put about 2200 into it the past 8 months.

Are the 2.8 pistons made differently than the 2.7t pistons? ive read about people using the pistons and the 2.8 intake on a 2.7t engine and they were without problems. Is the S4 the same specs as the A4 just a turbocharged engine? Ive read about the engine compartments on these cars are kind of specific in size and with 2 turbo's may not fit. I no stock turbos are kind of small and if I went through any conversion process there would be no stock involved. Ive always wanted a car to rev up if you will but in the past I never had the means and now I do but its kind of disappointing to learn that there is nothing out there for a 2.8 and im not going to pay 1000's to have custom **** done when I can convert for probably the same amount or cheaper. I am either going to fix this car up and make it nice and sell it and just buy a 1.8t and go from there or make my own. Thanks for all the advice

Is there an engine code that is better than the other for a 1.8t? or are they all the same?

Last edited by Crookedtoad; 02-21-2014 at 09:22 AM.