B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:23 PM
1st Gear
Default AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!

So I thought I bought a nice, albiet high mileage, '00 a4. I knew it needed a few things that I thought I could take care of in the coming months, but I am rapidly becoming discouraged. I don't know if it has has a timing belt yet, but with 126,000, I'm thinking this is first on the list. It needs struts (rattle over bumps) so I figure why waste money on stock since I need to lower it anyway I should just spring for coilovers. The (O) is flashing in the dash so I figured I need brakes, I'll probably do stock size since I use the 15" wheels in the winter. I was planning to take care of these things as I finacially was able. BUT.... I took it down to Steve's European Auto in Pontiac, MI today to run a VAG diagnosis....OMG! I don't have enough fingers and toes to count all the codes. I learned that I need a new O2 sensor (upstream) and that my ABS was not working (no fuse...I suspect the dealer pulled it to shut off the dash light....F*@!ING used car salesmen!). Which still doesn't tell my why the ABS doesn't work. They cleared all possible codes, but I still have "BRAKE LIGHT"...(O)..."Bulb"..."washer fluid" flashing at me in the dash. (I filled the fluid, but warning won't shut off). I also learned that I have a replacement intstrument panel. I wonder if that is why I can't toggle between the driver information such as MPG, Miles until empty and so on that I am supposed to be able to with the momentary switch on the wiper lever.

So I'll probably have several thousand dollars wrapped up in repair work for a used Audi which I am learning I paid far too much for. (sigh)

Please post your own horror stories so I don't feel so bad...LOL!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:32 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!

I just bought my a4 and it didnt pass inspection and i find out the used car dealership took out the check engine light because there was a bad o2 sensor, but i called them up faxed them the inspection paper and they are paying for all the parts, and i think i paid more then i should of for my car too. your not alone.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

I too had a horror story when I first got my Audi. I bought my car from a local BMW Dealer that was going to trade a BMWfor my Audi. The car was in Philadelphia, and the driver that went to pick up the car happened to spill a big gulp right down the front of everything the radio, and climate control panel. The car was not very old, and only had 20,000 miles however the salesman forget to tell me which was the wrong thing to do because my whole family bought there cars from the same dealership. The car worked fine for a little bit until I pressed the defrost button, and then the temperature would get stuck. I took the car back and they claimed that it was something I did. After doing a little research and pulling out the module with spilled soda in it did I realize what happened. I took the car back to the dealer they said they checked in to it, and when they did the driver confessed. Luckily becuase I doubt the warrenty would cover spilled soda and it was a 1000.00 part. The worse thing was that i had to pay the guy who caused all of my problems to practically ruin my new car.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:56 PM
3rd Gear

dang... i feel like i gotta good deal lol and my car has run well.