B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

About to buy 1st A4 tomorrow...need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 12:48 PM
1st Gear
Question About to buy 1st A4 tomorrow...need help!

This is my first post on this forum. I am about to pull the trigger on a 2001 A4 1.8T. I am looking at 2 different ones. Both have about 72,000 miles on them, both siver and both 5 spd. There is a FWD and a Quattro AWD. The AWD is about $700 more in price. The front wheel drive is a little cleaner and has had the dealer inspection done on the timing belt and water pump and is said to be good until the 105K mileage mark. The AWD has the added heated seats and is blue leather insted of the gray leather. The thing that scares me is that the AWD model I am looking at hasn't had the timing belt inspection done on it and I am scared to death of even driving it out of his driveway. I have heard so many night mare stories about the water pump giving out or a broken timing belt without warning. I guess my question really is should I hold out for an AWD? I initially started all of this because I wanted a peppy car that got good gas mileage. Now I read all of these reviews about how good the AWD is to have. I have a Land Rover and Subaru that are AWD as well. I like all wheel drive, but it is more up keep in the long haul. Is the Audi FWD worth having? The only one I have driven was a local ragged out AWD. It was nice, but I actually couldn't tell it was AWD compared to the 2 I already own. Not a good or bad thing, just an observation. I could use some help...really! I would even be willing to take a phone call if someone would take the time. 423-255-8403. Posting is fine too. I appreciate the help!

Old 10-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Hmmmm thats a lot of things to take into account to make a decision. First, having the timing belt/water pump taken care of before you buy the car is a HUGE relief. I'm still savin up to get mine done, and i get nervous everytime i start the car, waiting to hear the CLUNK when i float a valve lol. Depending on how badly you want Quattro, that might be enough to make your mind up for you.

As far as AWD vs. FWD, I've heard nothing but good things about Audi Quattro. Its supposed to be just about bullet proof (you mentioned maintenance on AWD vehicles) and is also well known as one of the best AWD set ups around.

I think in this particular situation, with these particular cars, you'd be better off to go with the FWD. Mostly for this reason: You have to figure that on top of the additional $700 you're gonna pay for the Quattro, you're gonna have to drop another grand (give or take, depending on if you do the TB, H20 pump yourself) on parts in the very near future. I guess just ask yourself how bad you really need AWD. Where do ya live?

Old 10-17-2008, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

I live in TN. I have no issues with the Quattro. I just wasn't initially looking at it and now it is a consideration. Neither car has had the timing belt/WP changed out yet. There is an inspection the dealer does that is part of the class action law siut against Adi for the faulty timing belts and wp. They are supposed to go to 105K, but have been snapping at 60-80K. The FWD has had the inspection done. If the dealer signs off on it being ok , you are covered by Audi on that recall until 105K. I can get all of the work done including a TB kit for about $700.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:15 PM

try to talk the price for the quattro down, or... find another one?

i have that 105k thing as well. so if my tb breaks i get a new engine.. lol. I wish they would just change the TB for free

Old 10-17-2008, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

if neither car has the TB change done and that's your major deciding factor then go with the quattro. you will have to replace the TB on either car that you get so might as well get the quattro and do the change within 5k. you'd have to replace the FWD TB in roughly the same amount of time anyways... I drive a quattro and love it. I've heard they handle a lot better then the FWDs so that's why i got it. but if you already have 2 another AWD vehicle then go with whichever car has the options you want. I personally wouldn't like the blue seats, but I've learned that heated seats are a plus for the cold morning commute

Old 10-17-2008, 03:00 PM
1st Gear

Well, you can pull the top of the belt cover off to inspect the belt. I had mine replaced between 80 and 85k, and I have 104k now. I would try to use that to get the price down a bit. Is the fwd model at a Audi dealership or a general used car place? If its at just a used car lot, I don't know how much I would trust it. Personally, I don't care for fwd, but I do live in Michigan. And of all the small little gremlins these cars have, I have never heard anyone say that there Awd system went out.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

No. Neither car has had it changed. However, I have the one car with the 105K dealer cert (FWD). I called the owner of the AWD and told him my worries. He said he would take it to the dealer on Monday to have it checked. So, with that said I may not be buying one tomorrow. Yes they will both have to be changed soon enough. My real worry is that it jumps time or snaps before I get it done or have the dealer inspection done. I would feel better... So is the A4 FWD basically a Passat with Audi stickers???? I haven't heard a good thing about the FWD... Whats up??

Old 10-17-2008, 04:29 PM
4th Gear

My Quattro has 150K mi. with no drive train problems.
The timing belt should be changed around 90K mi. Get
a new tensioner, and damper pulley. Find a good
independent shop to do the job.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

Well, they are cousins. The Passat has a longer wheelbase. They share the same engine layout and such. The Audi's suspension is a little more sporty too. My wife and I almost bought a 1.8t Passat wagon with FWD, but ended up get a W8 Passat wagon with 4motion. I thought the dealer A4 had been changed. But, even if the belt looks ok, the early model 1.8t have a default in the belt tensioner that cause the damage. Even though they looked at it, its gonna need to be changed.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

I know. I should plan on doing it pretty soon after I get it. I havent had much luck finding a 5spd with the belt/wp changed. Only automatics. I don't want an auto...

Quick Reply: About to buy 1st A4 tomorrow...need help!