B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

AEB engine question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 05:13 AM
1st Gear
Default 1999 audi a4 b5 1.8t quattro AEB engine question

so ive had this audi 99 a4 b5 1.8t manual pre facelift. its pushing roughly 17lbs of boost from 1st gear to 5th but struggles on low rpms, not sure why? anyone know? anyway, not sure if its tuned but think so and dont know how to find out. was pushing around 21lbs of boost when a pcv valve was let open but caused check engine light. i closed it. bought the car for 1400 with 171000 miles on it. it was modded with large intercooler, straight pipe and performance air filter. ive spent roughly $4000 in 2 years with a new clutch, transimission with 100k on it, ac, power steering, maf, ignition coils, upper and lower control arms, and new oil pan. car runs great. only current issue is timing belt, and lower belt making noise which will be changed soon. my bestfriend that is a great mechanice saw my spark plugs when i changed them with an oil change and said they have a light brown color which means engine is solid.
now to the question:

how many miles do you think this car described can go for? how do i fix the engine oil temp issue? and does anyone know how i can remove airbag light? car had 5 previous owners and 3 minor accidents early in its life.

btw, only main issue is **** ton of oil leaks everywhere. anyone know how to diy?

Last edited by Konstandinos Maroulis; 02-17-2018 at 05:24 AM. Reason: typos and additions
Old 02-17-2018, 02:35 PM
1st Gear

I am new to diagnosing the car- but have learned a lot here and having done a lot of work on mine - 97 A4 2.8L v6 FWD. That being said... you do not mention what the oil temp issue is (unless I missed it). If you are referring to the gauge not working (showing the temp) I have the same issue. I was told it could be the gauge or the sensor itself. After I had the car put back together I realized I forgot to change the sensor and when I found out where it was I was not going to put the car in service position just to do that. In your case the senor is probably in a different place and change that and see if that fixes it before first... I would check the oil filter housing/flange to see if it is there. You could do it when you do the timing belt.

As far as the oil leaks.. my car leaked lots of oil.. The previous mechanic who worked on it said it's and Audi and old. When I decided to work on the car myself. I checked the camshaft/crankshaft seals (no leaks) when I checked to see if I needed a timing belt. I replaced the cam plug (it was leaking very little). The leaking was coming from the valve cover gaskets. What I found when I went to remove the covers was the idiot mechanic had tightened the valve cover bolts so tight (estimated at least 20ft/lbs) it rendered the gaskets useless. After I installed new gaskets and tightened to 7 ft/lbs (specs) I have no leaks. The only small drip is from the rear main seal.. to be done when a clutch is needed. So I would definitely check the valve cover gaskets and other cam seals you might have.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

Oil issues on any car are often thought out to be big issues. To put it simple, if you car is burning oil then yeah it most likely will be a pricey fix, if it leaking oil, then in most cases is a simple fix as it may be leaking from any gasket/seal/pipe/sensor which all are relatively cheap to fix. Be more worried if you car is burning oil and not leaking oil.