B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

AEB Head On AWM Block?

Old 06-14-2019, 10:41 AM
2nd Gear

I know I'm digging up an old *** thread, but I just finished my second AEB/AWM build and I want to clear some things up for not only myself, but for anyone else who searches for this information in the future.

Head Gasket: Which one should be used on an AEB head/AWM block engine?

VVT: Is it really just for emissions? I've heard that VVT is used to improve low end torque and maximize high end boost (might be BS, but let's clear that up if possible).

On my first build, I swapped my AWM cams and tensioner to the AEB head. This time I left everything AEB (I'll have to tune out the VVT....... if you know how, LMK. I have a laptop, VAG COM and a cable. We can do it remote).

After experiencing the two, I feel like it may be best to scrap the VVT and run with the AEB cams/tensioner since the AEB cams are bigger.

***Experts: Feel free to jump in.

Last edited by A4TurboGuy; 06-14-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

Interesting, I'm planning to build another AWM engine soon and I just happened to be giving this some thought recently

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
Head Gasket: Which one should be used on an AEB head/AWM block engine?
I don't think it matters since the bore size is the same, as long as the water passages all line up. Are they MLS gaskets like on TDI engines?

VVT: Is it really just for emissions? I've heard that VVT is used to improve low end torque and maximize high end boost (might be BS, but let's clear that up if possible).
On other manufacturers' engines, it's to maximize low end grunt and high end rev. But on these engines, I'm pretty sure it's only for emissions purposes.

On my first build, I swapped my AWM cams and tensioner to the AEB head. This time I left everything AEB (I'll have to tune out the VVT....... if you know how, LMK. I have a laptop, VAG COM and a cable. We can do it remote).
You can't tune with a VAG-COM, it won't flash the ECU. You'll need different tools for that. On my TDI-swapped B5 A4, I use an MPPS 13.02 cable to write to the EDC16 ECU. Not sure what tools are required for gas engine ECUs. It might not be that hard to flash an AEB tune to an AWM ECU given the right cable and software.

After experiencing the two, I feel like it may be best to scrap the VVT and run with the AEB cams/tensioner since the AEB cams are bigger.
Using the matching cam hardware for the head always seems like the best idea in any case (except for the head bolts)

Last edited by GoremanX; 06-14-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:04 PM
2nd Gear

Let me correct a few things for you (I know more than I'm asking. I'm doing this for future searchers).

Originally Posted by GoremanX
I don't think it matters since the bore size is the same, as long as the water passages all line up. Are they MLS gaskets like on TDI engines?
I know the AEB gasket will work. I'm not sure about the AWM though.

On other manufacturers' engines, it's to maximize low end grunt and high end rev. But on these engines, I'm pretty sure it's only for emissions purposes.
You're talking about VTECH (basically). That's not the same. They have different cam lobes that are engaged by an actuator at a certain RPM. That's very different than what we have.

You can't tune with a VAG-COM, it won't flash the ECU. You'll need different tools for that. On my TDI-swapped B5 A4, I use an MPPS 13.02 cable to write to the EDC16 ECU. Not sure what tools are required for gas engine ECUs. It might not be that hard to flash an AEB tune to an AWM ECU given the right cable and software.
This is not true. With VAG Com, NefMoto and the correct Dongle, you can do anything nowadays (I've done it many times).

For me: I'm curious about VVT, but I need an answer from someone who knows for sure what they're talking about (no disrespect to you) and I'd love to find someone on here that's willing to tune it out for me.

Using the matching cam hardware for the head always seems like the best idea in any case (except for the head bolts)
I think I agree here, but again: I'm looking for a definitive answer on the VVT issue.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:34 PM
1st Gear

No, VTECH is a brand of cheap electronics. And I'm not referring to VTEC either. I'm referring to cam phasing architectures, which adjust the timing (but not duration) of the cam by changing its angle relative to the crank. That's exactly what this system does. There's retrofit kits for GM LS-series engines that accomplish the same thing, again for low end grunt (retarded timing) and high end rev (advanced timing). But from what I can tell, the system on the 1.8T isn't used that way. The power gains from AEB to AWM were solely due to the different turbo and engine tuning, not cam phasing. You can tell using VCDS when the cam is being phased, and it doesn't happen during an acceleration run.

What you state regarding VAG-COM (actually VCDS) makes no sense. That's a dongle and software package (or just software in its basic mode). Neither one can flash an ECU, they can only adjust parameters within the existing file. Cam phasing is not one of those adjustable parameters. There's no basic settings or codings for that that I know of. That requires a complete flash, which is done with a separate dongle and software and has nothing to do with VCDS at all. If you happen to have the other dongle and software handy, then more power to you.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:40 PM
2nd Gear

No, VTECH is a brand of cheap electronics. And I'm not referring to VTEC either. I'm referring to cam phasing architectures, which adjust the timing (but not duration) of the cam by changing its angle relative to the crank. That's exactly what this system does. There's retrofit kits for GM LS-series engines that accomplish the same thing, again for low end grunt (retarded timing) and high end rev (advanced timing). But from what I can tell, the system on the 1.8T isn't used that way. The power gains from AEB to AWM were solely due to the different turbo and engine tuning, not cam phasing. You can tell using VCDS when the cam is being phased, and it doesn't happen during an acceleration run.

What you state regarding VAG-COM (actually VCDS) makes no sense. That's a dongle and software package (or just software in its basic mode). Neither one can flash an ECU, they can only adjust parameters within the existing file. Cam phasing is not one of those adjustable parameters. There's no basic settings or codings for that that I know of. That requires a complete flash, which is done with a separate dongle and software and has nothing to do with VCDS at all. If you happen to have the other dongle and software handy, then more power to you.

You are wrong in so many ways, but I'm not here to argue, so let's agree to disagree.

G/L