B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

This all I need for headunit install (w/ BOSE)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:52 AM
1st Gear
Question This all I need for headunit install (w/ BOSE)

Hey, I've done quite a bit of searching and googling but I just want to make sure before I order everything, I'm wanting to install this aftermarket headunit in my 1998.5 A4 with the BOSE stereo, and I want to make sure this is all I need for the install...

First link is the headunit, second link is the dash kit, third link is the weird wiring harness that I THINK... is the only "special," item needed for the installation... fourth link is just an antenna adapter. Anything else needed for a complete headunit install?

Alpine CDE-HD137BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Audi In-dash Receiver Kit Fits select 1996-00 Audi vehicles (single-DIN) at Crutchfield.com

Receiver Wiring Harness For select 1994-07 Audi and Porsche vehicles at Crutchfield.com

Antenna Adapter Works with select 1994-up Volkswagen and Audi vehicles (Motorola male to OEM antenna female) at Crutchfield.com

Thanks again, I'm sorry if I didn't search "enough" I just know some of you guys on here have the knowledge and it's quicker to just get a quick and accurate response from knowledgeable people.

***EDIT --- factory amp in my bose stereo is only powering the rear deck speakers correct? or is it powering all 8 speakers?

Last edited by DewAudiA4; 06-21-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:31 AM
1st Gear

yup thats all you need, at least that's the same things i had. I belive the amp powers all speakers because i remember when i was doing the wiring i messed up the wire for the amps power and non of my speakers worked. But i could be wrong.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:57 AM
2nd Gear

Bose amp powers all speakers, that's why that harness has 4 RCA plugs. Problem is stock speakers are 2 ohm so you better make sure it'll work with your head unit, otherwise you'll have to change those out or get another harness that lets you use the stock amp.

EDIT: I'm stupid, the harness is fine, on second look everything seems right.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys I'll probably be ordering it tonight then, I have to get my sub hooked up in the audi, having no bass is killing me, and having my iPod and aux hookup will be nice

Thanks guys you are always helpful!

Old 06-21-2012, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

anyone object?

Old 06-23-2012, 04:29 AM
1st Gear

If I am right, then the wiring adapter you have will allow you to use the front and rear pre-out's from your Alpine to plug directly into the Audi/BOSE wiring.

The BOSE amp then powers your speakers and makes the necessary filtering to front/rear/sub etc. It's the Audi system that has front speakers powered by the head unit and active rears.

You will find the BOSE amp has built in high/low pass filters at a set frequency to work with the BOSE speakers in your car and the acoustics of the car. Many people slate the BOSE systems but they are clever little amps, doing the best they can with the paper speakers BOSE fitted based on Audi's budget for the install and 'no intrusion' (ie no door card cutting and no 12" boxed sub taking up any bootspace) policy I suspect!!!

Personally I would plug the Alpine into the standard wiring setup and see how it sounds. You might find with the extra dynamics from the Alpine you get more out of the amp and the speakers?

If you want to fit an aftermarket sub then your going to need to do that independently of the BOSE sub, Your own sub will need its own power supply etc and the feed for sub's amp from your sub pre-out from the Alpine.

If you go this route I would consider disconnecting the BOSE sub completely, or set the high pass filter on the head unit to say 80htz or 100 htz to stop any of the BOSE stuff handling anything that low, then set the low pass filter on your sub to the same or a little higher.

If you decide to let the BOSE amp handle the filtering to the cabin speakers, you will need to play with the frequency cut off point for the sub with to get the best sound.

Most people would look at starting at 120htz and adjusting down towards 80htz until it sounds right to their ears, but you might find that as the cabin speakers are small the BOSE amp filters higher, say 120htz or above so experimentation will be needed.

Hope this makes sense?

Stu

Old 06-23-2012, 09:55 AM
vgo
2nd Gear

You should look into the RNS-e swap. I just found out that you can get the Nav directions to show up on your DIS cluster display. It'll be OEM so it'll look good in the car too.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:20 PM
1st Gear

hey guys im about to do a audio install.

will these component speakers fit the front doors? I am gonna buy brackets to hold them in.

Rockford Fosgate Prime R152-S 5-1/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

i belive they are shallow mount

Old 06-23-2012, 09:20 PM
1st Gear

hey guys im about to do a audio install.

will these component speakers fit the front doors? I am gonna buy brackets to hold them in.

Rockford Fosgate Prime R152-S 5-1/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

i belive they are shallow mount

Old 08-10-2013, 04:22 AM
1st Gear

Hello - yes thread resurrection but i didn't want to start another on this topic, there is useful info already here - i researched and have a good idea of the setup/requirements now , but a few questions i haven't found answers to and i like to fully understand what i am working with so advice appreciated.

Realizing my symphony(2) head unit in my a3 (03) couldn't play mp3's i decided i needed to change it, i could go for the II+ , but looking at the options it seems feasible / better and cheaper to install my Bluetooth Sony unit.

I have checked out the connections on my head unit (http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4158430312.pdf) and have looked at the adapters.

I understand the 'bose' adapter connects power and remote to a std ISO connector which plugs into the HU, but also integrates 2 pairs of line out connections to be taken from phono sockets on the HU- all sounds good.

Few questions though

The car has (i believe correct me if im wrong),R+L front component speakers (mid and tweet), R+L Rear full range, 6" Sub, Centre Speaker in dash - (i have also read about a ceiling and centre pillar speakers but don't think i have them) - based on this how many channels does the bose amp have? & what are they for - is it six channel with sub and centre on 1 channel each ?

Taking into account the above, which pre outs should i use and which cable is which on the adapter , witha 6 channel amp i would expect to use 6 line inputs (3 pairs), the adapter only has 4 rca connectors. on the HU i have front, rear, and sub - which should i use ? - are the front , rear and centre speakers powered from one input and the sub from the other (in which case how does the fader work) or is it front and centre from one input and sub/rear from the other (in which case adjustments to sub out will also be applied to rears(low pass filter/levels etc) ?

The only way i can see it working is a flat output from front and rear line outs and all amplification tuning/filter/levels and distribution is preconfigured in the amp somehow pushing the right stuff to the sub - with this though the fader should affect the sub level - i usually fade to the front, does this also fade the sub ? if i increase head unit bass is this filtered away from the full range speakers ?

Thanks for bearing with me , one more question

the existing amp, this provides all amplification so the sound quality/volume of the system should not be affected by this install, its just basically a different interface/display (one with bright lights and mp3/aux/bluetooth capability) - is this correct ?

Would really be great if someone could answer these queries for me : )

Doh , just realized this is the a4 board, i imagine it is similar though - going to look for similar topic in a3 board...

Last edited by solowkey; 08-10-2013 at 04:32 AM.

Quick Reply: This all I need for headunit install (w/ BOSE)