B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

any DIY on 2.8L thermostat replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

When I did mine, I wasn't able to get the coolant hoses off of the radiator, so we just unclamped the hoses from the engine. I think we used some vice grips and just shimmied it off. That may save you an hour or so of grunting and cursing. It was a bit of a pain getting it back on but if you have a bit of grease it makes it easier. Just a little tip.

It seems with this job, and most jobs on this car, the act of getting to the actual part to replace is harder than replacing it. It is a little nervewrecking the first time you do a timing belt, hoping it'll start, and if it does, running correctly, but by far the hardest and most annoying part is actually getting to it.

Removing the bumper the first time should take about an hour. putting it back on is a pain unless you really look at it. Understand how it goes on and you'll be alright. Everytime I do it, I have trouble lining up the 6 or 8mm hex bolt that goes in from the bottom, behind the lower bumper grills. I find that if you stick the allen key all the way up where the bolt is supposed to go, it lines everything up.

Like they said before, when you get to marking your cam gears, only mark it in 3 places. Say, 3-6-9 o'clock. That way it cant get screwed up. Mark the Gear and the cover behind it and take a couple pictures for reference. While I was adjusting the passenger side cam gear to get the belt on I accidently gave it too much force and the gear turned a whole 90 degrees. I swear I was in asystole for about 3 seconds. I didn't know how far the gear had gone cause I had 4 marks on the gear (as pictured above). I turned it back to where I *thought* it should go and I ended up being right, thankfully.

If you have any problems during the job, send me a text. PM me if you want my cell #.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

I did my sons 2.8L waterpump last fall without pulling the front end, or the timing belt. Major pain in the butt, but it was possible, probably took 3 hours overall. Had to remove the power steering pump from the intake manifold. The waterpump cover came off pretty easily, but getting it back on was tough, lots of wiggling and twisting, but it all went back together with no leaks or any other issues.