B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

For anyone who thinks they've blown or have a blown Bose speaker

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:16 PM
1st Gear
Default For anyone who thinks they've blown or have a blown Bose speaker

I bought my 2000 A4 1.8TQM just under 2 years ago and heard a rattling sound coming from the driver's side rear woofer. I brought it by a local stereo shop, and the guy said my speaker was blown and that I'd have to take it to Audi to have it fixed since you can't buy new Bose speakers aftermarket. Being the noob that I was to Audi's (i still am a noob, really don't know sh*t about how to work on them), I took it to the Audi stealership and ended up spending over $2000 on minor repairs, including $250 for a new Bose speaker, not including the $150/hr labor charge of installing it. Recently the same speaker began rattling again, and I couldn't understand how it could have blown after having for such a short period of time whenIdo not bump my stereo. After doing some research ona purchasing a used bose speaker and installing it myself, I found out that it is a common issue with Bose speakers to have the glue on the dust cap of the speaker to come undone. I guess Bose does a poor job of glueing them on, maybe tosell more speakers because people think they are blown. I found this DIY http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec58.shtmlfor removing and installing rear speakers, which explained how to remove the rear panel to gain access to the rear woofers. Upon disassembling my back seat and inspecting the woofer, I discovered that the dust cap of the woofer had indeed began to seperate from the the speaker. I bought some krazy glue, glued that sucker back on with an excessive amount of glue to make sure it doesn't come undone again, and added some to the other speaker just incase it decided to detach itself also. Speaker sounds great again when the bass hits, and the only money I had to spend was $2 on a little bottle of krazy glue. Hope this helps anyone that may have the same issue. So if you think you have a blown bose speaker anywhere in your audi, make sure it's not just a loose dust cap, because it will end up saving you alot of money if it is. Below is a general diagram of a speaker, showing where the dust cap is located.

[IMG]local://upfiles/35517/AE6082E2D8FD4A1E909F63C9A6EDB724.gif[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Default RE: For anyone who thinks they've blown or have a blown Bose speaker

I'm so glad you posted that.
I've had my rear driver side woofer unpluged for a few months because of the same symptoms and I also assumed it was blown. I bet it just needs some glue.

THANKS!

Old 03-09-2008, 03:35 PM

hm, double post.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Promaine

I'm so glad you posted that.
I've had my rear driver side woofer unpluged for a few months because of the same symptoms and I also assumed it was blown. I bet it just needs some glue.

THANKS!
No problem man! I'm glad I was able to help someone. When I removed the rear panel and looked at the speaker, it looked as though the dust cap was still attached. Upon feeling around the cap, I felt where it had become detached and ended up peeling the whole thing off, applying glue to both the cap and the speaker, and then reattached the the dust cap. I added more glue around the edge of the dust cap where it meets the speaker to make sure it never comes off again.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:58 PM
2nd Gear

Wow, that is funny you posted this today. I was just starting to look around for a used bose speaker because mine is doing this. Guess you just saved me some $$$. Thanks!! I'll go tear into it now...

Old 03-09-2008, 07:04 PM

Wow! You are my hero! My passenger side speaker has been doing that since I bought the car and I was about ready to cave and buy a new one. I just looked at mine and that's exactly what's happening. You should be commended for bringing this to everyone's attention.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

Glad to help you guys out. Sounds like its a fairly common problem with Bose speakers. Sure feels good knowing I no longer have to listen to that annoying rattling sound.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:30 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

i was gonna replace my speakers too...i dont have bose speakers though, but im pretty sure thats what came off which gives that slight rattling foil sound. i just didnt suspect that you'd be able to glue it back on. thanks mate and im pretty sure you've help the community here!

Old 03-09-2008, 09:36 PM
5th Gear

omg tyvm dude, i hope this is my problem too. i'd give you akiss right now if i could hehe. : *

Old 03-09-2008, 09:56 PM
2nd Gear

well I'm not going to kiss you but what a great post. I was just noticing mine today while fixing my airbag light and playing with the Vag-Com

Quick Reply: For anyone who thinks they've blown or have a blown Bose speaker