B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audio System Upgrade for 01' B5 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Default Audio System Upgrade for 01' B5 1.8T

Thought I'd share with everyone my recent project. I upgrade the entire audio system.

Installed a Audi RNS-E Navigation Headunit, ran dedicated monster cable for all speakers to the trunk and monster pre-amp rca from headunit to the trunk and of course a dedicated 8 gauge power cable to the battery (fused at battery end). I made a custom board out of mdf (and carpeted it) to mount my amp, rear speakers and all crossovers to (for ease of tuning). It's mounted under the rear deck inside the trunk (hardly visible). The insides of the front doors had to be modified to fit the 5 1/4 components and 2" tweeters. I wanted to keep the entire system as discreet as possible.

Here's the run down:

Audi Factory RNS-E Navigation wired with display in center cluster
Alpine SPX-13PRO 5 1/4" Components in front doors - 80w RMS
Alpine SPX-17REF 6 1/2" Components in rear deck -75w RMS
Alpine MRP-F450 4 Channel Amp - 4 x 70w RMS

Let me know what you guys think. Sorry some of the pics are blurry, I may have upgraded my stereo, but not my camera.

http://s520.photobucket.com/albums/w321/stealth162/Audi[/url] B5 Stereo Upgrade/?albumview=grid

copy and paste entire link, don't know what it isn't making it all clickable

Last edited by stealth162; 08-10-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:53 PM
2nd Gear
Old 08-09-2008, 10:22 PM

Nice job. "Discreetly" drop a sub in there, and you'll be set.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:13 PM

What did you have to do to fit the 5 1/4 front speakers in? I have a set that I'm trying to fit in.....

Did you do it yourself, or have a shop do it? Was it an easy fix?

Old 08-12-2008, 12:26 AM

I did it myself.

I ended up cutting down the three mounting posts (with a Dremmel) that the screws go into (careful not to go to far so that the screw won't go through) so it would allow for a bit more depth clearance, then out of 1/4" hardboard I made some adapting rings and mounted them to the posts with rubber washers between to isolate vibration. Bassically a round ring that screws onto the three posts with screws slightly set below the surface so they wouldn't get in the way of mounting the speaker and than I drilled four holes and put T-nuts on the opposite side to allow for screwing in the 4 post speaker.

Some speakers may not require this. Depends on the speaker and location of the mounting holes. Some guys have also made adapter rings out of the old factory speakers by cutting them up and just using the mounting part. I didn't have the factory speakers as the previous owner had already "upgraded" to some shitty 4" polk speakers.

Last edited by stealth162; 08-12-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:56 PM

Hey Stealth,

Looks good, i've been thinking of doing the same with mine (The RNS-E unit). I'm hoping you can help me out, since you have the identical B5 A4 as me ('01).

I've run through this document top-to-bottom:

http://www.nsxjr.com/docs/RNS.pdf

And most of it looks pretty straight-forward. I have the double-din Symphony I radio, so it should just be a straight swap headunit wise. What i'm wondering is:

1) Did you need to pick up the CAN-Bus adapter to make it work? It sounds as though any A4's with a digital clock (which the '01 has) do not need it. This this true?

2) Did you need the VAG-COM for anything to reprogram parts of the control module? Some reports i've read mention that you do, some say they've been able to get away without it

3) Any other surprises I should be concerned about??

Many thanks in advance!

Old 08-13-2008, 04:49 PM

It isn't too bad if you are prepared and have the right tools.

Make sure you get the audi oem repair wires and some additional wire to get the CAN signal from your cluster down to the radio.

You don't need a CAN-bus adapter to have it work, however you may want to pickup a CANgate (do a search on the navplus forum). This is the only box that will remedy the clock problem between the cluster and the RNS-E. Without it the unit will function, but your clock will be off and your trip times thus won't be accurate.

You will need access to a VAG-COM if you wish to program so the cluster shows the street names and directions in the center LCD (pretty nice to have).

Just make sure you buy your unit and plug-n-play harness from someone reputable. There are tons of people selling units on ebay that are actually EU units with the chips swapped on the mother board to make them function like a US unit and they do a very bad soldering job on the chip. I made the mistake of buying one of those and had to replace my motherboard inside the unit.

One other thing to note is that you'll need to buy an A6 unit and then take a dremmel or saw of some sort and cut off about a 1/4" off the bottom on the front plastic trim to make it fit in the car.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. If you buy your unit from NSXJR or someone on the forum I'm sure they'll make sure you get what you need, but I'm happy to help with any questions.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:27 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

whats that rocker switch by your fog light buttons for? ESP?
great work mate

Old 08-13-2008, 11:32 PM

When I flip that switch the whole car turns into a big robot.

Actually it's a switch that will disable/enable GALA (the speed signal) to the RNS-E so that it doesn't think the car is moving when it actually is. That way a passenger can mess with the NAV while the car is moving and then switch it back when they're done.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:25 PM

Thanks Stealth, much appreciated. I'll be sure to let you know if I have any more questions.

Quick Reply: Audio System Upgrade for 01' B5 1.8T