B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

automatic or manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:58 PM
1st Gear
Default automatic or manual

I am wondering which transmission is more reliable. I would like a manual but it is all depending on the price. I dont know too much about the 1.8T. But is the automatic going to be much slower. I have heard that foreign cars automatic transmissions are bad.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Default RE: automatic or manual

The tiptronics are a little more reliable, because you don't have to change the clutch out like you would in a manual transmission car.

Tiptronic transmissions are built very solidly; and they're not "slow" per se. You can always get a GIAC Tip-Chip if you want to have super-quick shifting.

In the end, it boils down to personal preference.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:07 PM
2nd Gear

Do you plan on modding it much? If you just plan on doing a chip and/or exhaust then the tiptronic can handle it just fine. I personally like the tip because I do alot of city driving and stop and go traffic that just gets annoying with a stick. So it all depends on what you plan on doing with the car and if you drive in alot of traffic or not. Most people like the stick because it can handle alot more power.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: cantdrive55

Do you plan on modding it much? If you just plan on doing a chip and/or exhaust then the tiptronic can handle it just fine. I personally like the tip because I do alot of city driving and stop and go traffic that just gets annoying with a stick. So it all depends on what you plan on doing with the car and if you drive in alot of traffic or not. Most people like the stick because it can handle alot more power.
no true, an automatic can handle just as much power as a manual. everyone underrates the tiptronic transmission when it comes to handeling power

Old 02-26-2008, 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Leifer

The tiptronics are a little more reliable, because you don't have to change the clutch out like you would in a manual transmission car.

Tiptronic transmissions are built very solidly; and they're not "slow" per se. You can always get a GIAC Tip-Chip if you want to have super-quick shifting.

In the end, it boils down to personal preference.
x2

Old 02-26-2008, 06:32 PM

if u suck at driving stick then the tip will be more reliable, i have a 116k on my stock clutch and it's still going just fine. i think how you drive will greatly effect your question.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:02 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

it's all personal.. you can't let any of us decide this for you.

but since you asked.. manual all the way.

I will never own an automatic.. or at least, I will never choose to own an automatic.

i live in the city and have pretty much all my life and I've always drove/owned a manual transmission car with no complaints. even in stop and go traffic for 4+ hours and it never bothered me, though i can understand why some people would like automatic, but it takes away all the fun/control out of driving if you ask me.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:45 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: tooxtreme8813
no true, an automatic can handle just as much power as a manual. everyone underrates the tiptronic transmission when it comes to handeling power
Dunno, I guess I don't see that many 350+hp tips. I know that it can handle ~300hp but after that it gets questionble in my book. I know you can do a whole Level10 trans kit but again, I don't see that too often.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:23 PM

Supreme control of your power always comes from a manual gear box. An automatic could be way more consistent at the track. In my opinion fun comeswhen you areas close to total control as you can be.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 PM

personal preference...when an auto starts slipping you throw it away/rebuild it

when a manual starts slipping you replace the clutch....

I think that a manual trans is more affordable and resiliant....especially if you are tip and shiftin

gl!

Quick Reply: automatic or manual