B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

B5 Quattro Suspension suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:32 PM
1st Gear
Default B5 Quattro Suspension suggestions needed

My 97 A4 1.8T Quattro with sport option is overly lowered and hits bottom all the time. I guess the last owner thought it was a good idea and while it does look nice it is impossible not to scrape something every single day.

Non adjustable bilstein shocks.

Looking for suggestions for an inexpensive method of raising the ride a bit.

I do not want to replace entire setup due to cost.

thanks and looking forward to some great suggestions

Old 07-26-2011, 07:38 PM

Turn your spring/strut setup into coilovers:
OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

How low is your car? Most lowering springs for these cars don't go so low that you would necessarily be scraping everywhere. My thinking is either the roads you drive on are really crappy, or you should try slowing down more before going over bumps and things.

Last edited by MetalMan; 07-26-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:40 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by FDEVITA
My 97 A4 1.8T Quattro with sport option is overly lowered and hits bottom all the time. I guess the last owner thought it was a good idea and while it does look nice it is impossible not to scrape something every single day.

Non adjustable bilstein shocks.

Looking for suggestions for an inexpensive method of raising the ride a bit.

I do not want to replace entire setup due to cost.

thanks and looking forward to some great suggestions
Based on what you have mentioned, I am having a hard time understanding why you are scraping. Are the springs stock? You mention non-adjustable Bilstein shocks but that alone would not have you riding in the weeds.

I'm willing to bet the springs are probably race springs so swapping them out for a sport spring set-up would raise the ride height and won't break the bank.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 PM
1st Gear
Default could be an option

Originally Posted by MetalMan
Turn your spring/strut setup into coilovers:
OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

How low is your car? Most lowering springs for these cars don't go so low that you would necessarily be scraping everywhere. My thinking is either the roads you drive on are really crappy, or you should try slowing down more before going over bumps and things.
Thanks - this may be an option. If I went any slower over bumps and things, I would be going backwards. It's really low and I don't know enough mechanically to understand what all has been done. I appreciate your suggestion. - any others?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 PM

Would you be able to take a picture of your car's ride height and post it? I'm really curious how low your car is.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:14 PM
2nd Gear

FDEVITA, whats your A4 look like? I pass through the Cary area frequently.

Edit: MetalMan just asked...

Old 07-26-2011, 11:19 PM
1st Gear
Default will post picture this weekend

Originally Posted by Skythe
FDEVITA, whats your A4 look like? I pass through the Cary area frequently.

Edit: MetalMan just asked...
I am out of town on business until the weekend - will post picture then.

Silver, all stock.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:21 PM
1st Gear
Default could be

Originally Posted by ObnoxiousDrunk
Based on what you have mentioned, I am having a hard time understanding why you are scraping. Are the springs stock? You mention non-adjustable Bilstein shocks but that alone would not have you riding in the weeds.

I'm willing to bet the springs are probably race springs so swapping them out for a sport spring set-up would raise the ride height and won't break the bank.
This sounds like it may be a better option than coilovers as I think the coilovers may make the ride more harsh - your thoughts?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:43 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by FDEVITA
This sounds like it may be a better option than coilovers as I think the coilovers may make the ride more harsh - your thoughts?
The only benefit I see with coilovers is the fact that you can adjust the height to exactly what you prefer. I would think there would be a sacrifice in ride quality, especially if one did not buy a quality coilovers kit, which can run into the thousands. I'm not saying that my advice is the way to go, but is is the cheapest and should give you the best result.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:08 AM
1st Gear
Default Going back to stock springs

I am going back to stock springs. Found some used ones. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quick Reply: B5 Quattro Suspension suggestions needed