B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Bad day

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 06:55 PM
2nd Gear
Angry Bad day

So I was going to wash the car today. Overcast, cold, but alright weather. I have some auto glass stripper and I started using it on the windshield. When I finished I followed the directions by rinsing liberally. Well heres the thing, I dont have a rain tray and the area under the hood up front with the battery and brake booster filled with water. Normally, the two drains under the battery and brake servo respectively would handle this, but they're plugged. So it filled, and filled and filled until it began flooding into the cabin behind the dash and over all the electronic goodies back there. It pooled on the floor under the pedals and when I noticed it, there was water a good two inches up on the side of the floor. So I grabbed tubing and began a siphon, sponged out as much water as I could, grabbed a hair dryer and began drying, looked to see if the ECU, whose rain box was mostly submerged, was okay and mostly running around like a headless chicken in panic. Well, the water is drained now, but I'm in the process of finding those bastard drains. Anyone cleared theirs before? I'm taking the battery out now, but its the one under the brake servo (booster?) that worries me. Your help would be very appreciated as I live in Oregon and its only a matter of time until it starts raining and the same thing happens again.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Administrator

This is actually a common problem. The drains are probably clogged from leafs and other junk. Take out the battery and clean it out, you should be good to go.

Last edited by kriptonik; 11-15-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:41 AM
2nd Gear

Haha, thanks. Yeah, took the battery out and cleaned them out well. They were practically cemented shut. The carpet is mostly dry, so I hope I dont get mildew or rust from this adventure.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 AM
4th Gear

Damn, man... I thought I had some issues with my car, but this just sounds really shitty. Hope everything turns out alright and you didn't mess anything up too bad...

Old 11-15-2009, 04:09 PM
2nd Gear

It runs and drives and all electronics are running fine. The big worry now is damp carpet. Its raining here, so its not gonna dry to fast. I let it run for about an hour with heater full blast to the floor, but its pretty humid air. I need to rig a hair dryer to run pointed at the floor, but last time I did that it drew a ton of amps and the connection exploded in my hands while I plugged it in. I'm talking fire, arcs and lots of sparking. Scary **** lol. Apparently some water got into a frayed cord, so we threw that away.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:04 PM
3rd Gear

haha ive had this issue but when i did my fog lights i had to go through the hood latch and i didnt seal it back up i washed my car the next day and i had water all over my carpet

Old 11-16-2009, 01:02 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah, its mostly dry now. I've got a little tree down there, a fan and when i drive the car the heater goes full tilt on the floor. There was a LOT of water stored in the who knows how many layers of comfort stuff Audi put in the floor lol, it just kept coming, like a cactus..

Old 11-16-2009, 09:05 AM
4th Gear

Make sure you turn the economy button off when you run your heat. The AC should run, even with hot air, which helps take the humidity out of the air... At least, it sounds good in theory.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:10 AM

If you want to dry it properly, you should pull up the carpeting on the floor and let it air out.