B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Beat TB w/hammer & lost 5 codes wtf!??!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Beat TB w/hammer & lost 5 codes wtf!??!?

Ok as the subject says ~ I obd'd the car last night and got 6 codes.. misfire/tps/maf/icv... i decided to go outside today to look at it.. and it pissed me off just thinking about it so i whacked the throttle position sensor with a hammer a number of times (i had the plastic cover off the TB .. and only hit a metal part that wouldnt break) so.. yeah.. after that .. i started 'er up.. and all it's giving is a P1545 ICV auxillary code... no more tps.. no more maf.. no more misfire.. the car idle's like utter ****.. bouncing between 750 or so and 1500rpm.. but seems peppy beyond 2k... so.. wtf is going on here?

the car had 19 codes including 2 oxygen sensor codes after i got it back from the garage.. all i did was pull the TB and give it a cleaning.. and run seafoam through everything.. and it went down to 6 codes. I hit the bastard with a hammer a few times and now I'm down to 1 code... wtf is going on here!?

(i erased and rechecked the codes about 5 times to be sure)

Old 04-23-2008, 07:38 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Beat TB w/hammer & lost 5 codes wtf!??!?

Ok... i erased the codes.. pulled the bat and attempted a TB alignment.. it didnt hum at all.. but when i started it .. it ran fairly smooth and the jumping idle wasnt present anymore... and the CEL light stayed off for about 5 min of idle and about 100yards of driving.. then it came on again... rechecked the codes and it's giving the same P1545 Idle speed control auxiliary code.. and cyl 3 misfire (i still havent checked its gap but will shortly)

anything I can do about the ISC? and why doesnt the stupid TB hum !?

Old 04-23-2008, 07:41 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: carlv

and why doesnt the stupid TB hum !?
I don't think you can do a TBA on nDBW cars that way (turn the key without starting and let it sit for a minute or two).

Old 04-23-2008, 08:14 PM
4th Gear

From the earlier codes, I think it was a DBW car.

I'm assuming that you don't have a throttle cable, just electronics.

May take a while for the codes to come back, but sometimes nothing works like the "universal adjustment tool"

Old 04-23-2008, 11:13 PM
1st Gear

there is a throttle cable.

it's still throwing a P1545 code... description is idle speed control... not throttle position.. so... i dunno.. im'a pull the TB off again tmw and make sure all the vac lines i can get to are alright. going from 19 codes to 1 with nothin but a lil elbow grease and a hammer is pretty good in my book though.. hopefully it's still something that wont require replacement of the entire TB.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:13 PM
4th Gear

Throttle body adjustment is only on those cars who don't have a throttle cable (ie the TB is controlled electronically).

Old 04-24-2008, 07:53 PM
5th Gear

u sure about that? with mine (dbw) the tb hums and then the little thing the cable is attached to clicks and the humming stops. i always assumed that was the tb adjusting itself

switch the coilpack on cyl 3 to a different cylinder and start it up. if the misfire follows the coilpack, then thats it, if it stays on cyl 3 its the plug. dont know about your tb problem

Old 04-24-2008, 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

u sure about that? with mine (dbw) the tb hums and then the little thing the cable is attached to clicks and the humming stops. i always assumed that was the tb adjusting itself

switch the coilpack on cyl 3 to a different cylinder and start it up. if the misfire follows the coilpack, then thats it, if it stays on cyl 3 its the plug. dont know about your tb problem
Yup start here and all your 19 codes where from the ignition being on while working on the car.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:30 AM
2nd Gear

Maybe i can beat my cat with a bat and my p0160 will go away!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: 01AudiA4

Maybe i can beat my cat with a bat and my p0160 will go away!
I feel like beating my p0411 emission B.S. with a bat, but I really don't think that beating these problems with a bat is the right approach.I would only use this method on old T.V.'s, Honda'sand other peices of crap not yourAudi.

Quick Reply: Beat TB w/hammer & lost 5 codes wtf!??!?