B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Bend, cut, weld exhaust diy

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Location: Originally from Connecticut Now in New Hampshire/Manie
Thumbs up Bend, cut, weld exhaust diy

Slow at the shop today so decided to go at my exhaust system.

Removed the y pipe from there sleeves and reused the y. Removed the sleeves and bumped up the ends of the y to slide over the converter pipes. This way i can do away with them sleeves later seeing how they always let loose and damage the flex pipes.

Next i dropped the back half of the system and removed both mufflers. Decided to go with a 2.5'' stick of pipe as it slides over the y pipe outlet nicely. Bent it into shape with the shop supplied bender. 7 angle points is what it took to get from the back of the y pipe, around the rear suspension, and into the new muffler. Tacked it in place with the y and muff and went to the bench for welding

i had a magnaflo muffler hanging out in the shop for a while so it got put to use. After running the beads i put the custom exhaust on stands and tacked the old hangers off the original system in the appropriate locations. Some fabrication was required.

Slid my y pipe inlets over the converter pipes and clamped. Final touches included a small tweak in my bent pipe to create more clearance from the suspension and cutting the excess from the clams.

All said and done it looks great. Plenty of clearance and sounds awesome...

Thanks for reading....

Old 02-18-2010, 06:56 PM
3rd Gear

Bastard!!!! I have got to do this myself in the VERY near future. I skated by a couple months ago by just having my flex pipes reconnected, but the stock pipes under there are not going to last much longer.

You should have taken photos and maybe a sound clip for all us who are interested.

Too bad you are all the way up in Maine...I would have had you do mine!

Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 PM

Yea ill get some pictures next time i got it on the lift. I have a sound clip sooner for ya. The whole thing cost me $16. And it was just the sticks of pipe that cost anything. If ya dont have a muff laying around you'll have to pay for one of course...

Ya them sleeves suck.. Poor design. Once they let loose the weight of the pipe and cats puts wear on the flexes

Old 02-18-2010, 09:59 PM
3rd Gear

Me an a good friend are going to tackle something like this in the spring. I already got a muffler dirt cheap and need to modify it to work, but I was more concerned about the pipes themselves....I know the bulk of the pipes are rusting badly, I hope the Y section can be reused.

Did you replace the resonator or just put in straight pipe? I want to loose the weight of that bastard and considered putting a less bulky straight resonator in it's place.

I may pick your brain about this in the very near future......can't wait to hear the sound clip.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:29 PM
4th Gear

Damn, is this like a teaser trailer to a movie or something? Do we need to buy a ticket to see the actual show? I was fully expecting pics and vids! Damn... and now my $850 NeuSpeed seems soooo... expensive!

Anyway, where in Maine/ NH are you/ your shop? I grew up in southern Maine 5 minutes from the NH border.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:19 AM
2nd Gear

I'm doing this tuesday! Magnaflow 14816 unresonated. 2.5" exhaust from the techtonics highflow back! I'm so excited!

Old 02-19-2010, 01:36 AM
3rd Gear

Good for you and taking on this task. If you can get custom, I always prefer it over a pricey aftermarket system. Of course unless you're dropping money without a problem.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
damn, is this like a teaser trailer to a movie or something? Do we need to buy a ticket to see the actual show? I was fully expecting pics and vids! Damn... And now my $850 neuspeed seems soooo... Expensive!

Anyway, where in maine/ nh are you/ your shop? I grew up in southern maine 5 minutes from the nh border.

im in bridgton, me and i work in north conway, nh. My shop is in lovell, me. Just opened it so its been tuff with the full timer and trying to get this business up and running. But its been going good so far.

I plan on getting at least a sound clip soon. Pictures i'll have next time i got it up on the lift. Didnt have my camera when i did it witch is unusual because i usually keep it in my tool box.

And ****, if you wanna buy a ticket i'm not going to argue with ya... Want the paypal address....:d

Old 02-19-2010, 08:06 AM

Yea i did away with the res. And with a single aftermarket muff on there its not to to loud. And this engine does not give that annoying honda sound either.. Witch is great. Well it is a german 6cly as well.. That helps. Gives a nice throaty, aggressive tone. If you were to use a res some where in there it would still have a nice sound but not as aggressive or noticeable. Up to you and what kinda sound your looking for...

Old 02-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Site Moderator

Yes please post pics, free hand fabrication is always exciting to see

Quick Reply: Bend, cut, weld exhaust diy