B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Big Turbo: Best bang for buck

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 PM
1st Gear

Okay so you guys do recommend the fraken turbo then, and you are all certain with proper programming/tuning it can easily maintain 300 at the crank. So here is my list of question s that hopefully someone can answer, why does frakenturbo not supply a different chip that allows it to run at 300hp after installing their parts and even if I were to go and buy there set up where would i source a program/chip that would manage the new hardware to that 300hp range. Redline mentioned maestro I believe but I am not very familiar with that at all. And thank you for that site with the list of available turbo's. Blows my mind that their is a site that lists them all like that in perfect order. Cool stuff. And the fraken turbo is still a stock ko4 reworked and done up to their specs correct?

Old 02-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Legal Moderator

Frankenturbo doesn't offer software because it's not what they sell. You wouldn't to go to mcdonalds and expect them to sell you a case of beer right? Instead the software is left to companies that specialize in it. I'm not up to par on who makes good software for the frankenturbo for each ecu system, but I do know motoza makes good frankenturbo software

Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by redline380
Frankenturbo doesn't offer software because it's not what they sell. You wouldn't to go to mcdonalds and expect them to sell you a case of beer right? Instead the software is left to companies that specialize in it. I'm not up to par on who makes good software for the frankenturbo for each ecu system, but I do know motoza makes good frankenturbo software
I vehemently disagree, I think that would be awesome

You're right though, I've exchanged a few emails with Dave and he said they've done tunes for AWM engines with great results. They don't offer ATW or AEB tunes though.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:35 PM
1st Gear

I bought a beer at a McDonalds in Germany once, just so I could say I did. I was gonna get a diet coke (no ice) but saw the brew and couldn't resist. this is the first time I've been able to report it.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

Hartsoe, that is a solid thumbs up, lol. Also, I mean I am not by any means bashing frakenturbo for their product, I am simply confused if their equipment really is that good and durable why not just offer a higher boost version? I mean even if they only went to 250hp that would be an attractive deal to me. I would invest any day into that. They offer a seemingly good set up of equipment, even I will say, at a great price but it doesn't seem worth the hassle to buy it, let alone install it for the gains it provides, in my mind. Would I have to take it to a dyno/tuner shop to get the right tune? I mean if I have to drive to a tuner shop to gain 70+ horsepower, if I decide to buy the frakenturbo set up, then so be it :P Just thought I would like to do it myself and gain some knowledge and save some cash. Any body ever have their car tuned by a shop? Also how do quote somebody, lol

Old 02-12-2013, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

Something about Franken I have always wondered is if their turbos are authentic Borg Warner turbos or have they sorted reputable replacement parts like Precision or Comp has with their entry line turbos? My guess is that they have sorted repuatble parts since authentic parts cost so damn much.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by MrSnickelsnizer
Hartsoe, that is a solid thumbs up, lol. Also, I mean I am not by any means bashing frakenturbo for their product, I am simply confused if their equipment really is that good and durable why not just offer a higher boost version? I mean even if they only went to 250hp that would be an attractive deal to me. I would invest any day into that. They offer a seemingly good set up of equipment, even I will say, at a great price but it doesn't seem worth the hassle to buy it, let alone install it for the gains it provides, in my mind. Would I have to take it to a dyno/tuner shop to get the right tune? I mean if I have to drive to a tuner shop to gain 70+ horsepower, if I decide to buy the frakenturbo set up, then so be it :P Just thought I would like to do it myself and gain some knowledge and save some cash. Any body ever have their car tuned by a shop?
I'm confused. Worth what hassle? And what do you mean by a higher boost version?

Also how do quote somebody, lol
Scroll down to the post you wish to quote and in the lower right hand corner there will be three buttons. From right to left they are "Quick Reply", which allows you to reply to a thread without opening the advanced post editor, Multi-quote, which allows you to select multiple posts to quote in one reply, and "Quote" which opens the advanced editor and pastes in the post for you to reply to.

Last edited by CCA4; 02-13-2013 at 09:21 AM. Reason: i accidentally a word.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:24 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by zandrew
Something about Franken I have always wondered is if their turbos are authentic Borg Warner turbos or have they sorted reputable replacement parts like Precision or Comp has with their entry line turbos? My guess is that they have sorted repuatble parts since authentic parts cost so damn much.

How is the Comp Turbo Entry level turbo using "replacement parts"? It isn't like Comp Turbo takes a BW or Garrett turbo and replaces some of the parts and calls it their own. lol

The CT Entry level series is just some of their standard Journal bearing turbos with either their cast wheel or their billet wheel but at a fraction of the cost by cutting most of the profit out and that includes the dealer profit. So their Entry Level CT3-5556 is no different then their CT3-5556-2X, well other then the difference in price of $650 vs $999.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

By "worth the hassle" I simply meant buying a 1,300$ set up of equipment and then installing it on the car. Because it only gives you 25ish more horse power than say a 400$ apr stand alone chip, which you just pop in, easy peasy. I am not a greedy man but if I am going to spend 900$ more dollars and then get all bloody knuckled over a turbo swap I would expect more than the fore mentioned turbo set up does. I don't see why anyone would think it is a good deal unless they supplied a different program which "boosted to a higher psi" plus you know all the air to fuel ratio stuff, just a different tune in general, which makes more power.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MrSnickelsnizer
By "worth the hassle" I simply meant buying a 1,300$ set up of equipment and then installing it on the car. Because it only gives you 25ish more horse power than say a 400$ apr stand alone chip, which you just pop in, easy peasy. I am not a greedy man but if I am going to spend 900$ more dollars and then get all bloody knuckled over a turbo swap I would expect more than the fore mentioned turbo set up does. I don't see why anyone would think it is a good deal unless they supplied a different program which "boosted to a higher psi" plus you know all the air to fuel ratio stuff, just a different tune in general, which makes more power.
Frankenturbo is definitely more than 25hp over the APR tune.

People have put down 240awhp and 265awtq with a franken turbo. Thats about 288chp.
An APR tune will only put you at about 175awhp (220 x.2 to account for drivetrain loss)

Quick Reply: Big Turbo: Best bang for buck