B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Boost leak or Misfiring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:29 AM
2nd Gear
Default Boost leak or Misfiring?

Recently when I hit about 5psi or higher it sounds like the boost is surging and makes a whistling sound like theres a leak. The car doesn't jerk at all during this. I have a boost gauge and the boost pressure is steady but makes that strange noise and theres a lack of power.

EDIT: the car has apr software, 3'' test pipe if that makes any difference.

Also on a different topic whenever I try to fill up with gas, the pump keeps stopping and i have to barely squeaze the handle for any gas to get into my tank. It does this at every gas pump I goto.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Site Moderator

You hear the whistle from the gauge or what? Your turbo will whistle as it is spewing 15+ psi. To hear this at only 5 psi seems odd though. If it were me, I'd remove the turbo plumbing on the turbo side of the engine and inspect for cracks. I mean the big turbo inlet from airbox and outlet hose that connects to the ic piping + surrounding n75/charge pipe hoses.
Try pulling the nozel of the pump out of your tank a couple inches to change the angle at which the sensor sees gas splashing up back inside the nozel. Or find a new gas station. This is not common.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:28 PM
2nd Gear

The turbo is making a way different whistling sound. Its not a steady noise, sounds like something is leaking out. As far as the gas pump problem, Ive tried turning the nozzle, pulling it out a few inches, nothing seems to work for that.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:45 PM

its probably the gas station, some pumps that ive gone to have done that as well.

so is the noise a whistling sound or a hissing sound? if its whistling i would say your hearing the turbo spool as it keeps building, you do have apr software so your boost is going to keep spooling as you push down the pedal.

if its more like a hissing sound, kind of loud then i would check the hose on top part of your engine, it goes into your intake manifold and is right by the fpr. i had a big boost leak from there once and replaced the hose.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Site Moderator

The hoses that go to the intake manifold are for vacuum, although you might hear them hissing as they are sucking in the outside air. I guess when the manifold is under pressure/boost, air could leak out, but the pathway is so small i don't know that you'd even notice it.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 09-24-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:35 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
Try pulling the nozel of the pump out of your tank a couple inches to change the angle at which the sensor sees gas splashing up back inside the nozel. Or find a new gas station. This is not common.
that happened to me all the time when i first got the car. it happens every once in a while now, i dont know if i just got used to it or the problem went away, but yea just pull the nozzle out an inch and it wont do it anymore.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
The hoses that go to the intake manifold are for vacuum, although you might hear them hissing as they are sucking in the outside air. I guess when the manifold is under pressure/boost, air could leak out, but the pathway is so small i don't know that you'd even notice it.
yeah, i wasn't to specific, i meant the big hose, not the little one that actually goes from the fpr to the intake manifold. the big one right underneath also sucks in air and ive had that big hose replaced because of the leak.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:09 PM
3rd Gear

you mean the larger vac hose that goes from the corner of the intake mani. to the brake booster?

Old 09-24-2008, 06:38 PM

sounds like a boost leak....

Old 09-24-2008, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by ghost6303
you mean the larger vac hose that goes from the corner of the intake mani. to the brake booster?
i dont think so but not totally sure.

when i floored it, you could hear the leak worse and worse, it was a loud hissing noise. i believe it was performance related and not the brake booster vac line.

Quick Reply: Boost leak or Misfiring?