B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Bosch "Small" Oil filter vs Large Mann Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Shun Bosch and embrace MANN

I don't drive an Audi (yet) but I am a mechanical engineer with an 83½ Scirocco project car, and I have done some research on this question!

Mann is the first thing I would put on any vehicle, and Bosch one of the last. This links explains why:
http://www.efficient-mileage.com/oil-filters.html

There are many many brands of filters, but only a handful of manufacturers. Fram is probably the worst of the lot, mainly for their flimsy construction. Mann is available online for not more than you will pay for junk in your local shop.

If you are really nervous about your oil, add a rare-earth magnet filter jacket ($60), or do like I do and plunder a discarded hard drive for the magnets. The magnet sticks (and I mean sticks!) to the outside of the oil filter, and iron particles are stopped in their tracks harmlessly on the inside of the filter casing.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by brimstoner
I don't drive an Audi (yet) but I am a mechanical engineer with an 83½ Scirocco project car, and I have done some research on this question!

Mann is the first thing I would put on any vehicle, and Bosch one of the last. This links explains why:
http://www.efficient-mileage.com/oil-filters.html

There are many many brands of filters, but only a handful of manufacturers. Fram is probably the worst of the lot, mainly for their flimsy construction. Mann is available online for not more than you will pay for junk in your local shop.

If you are really nervous about your oil, add a rare-earth magnet filter jacket ($60), or do like I do and plunder a discarded hard drive for the magnets. The magnet sticks (and I mean sticks!) to the outside of the oil filter, and iron particles are stopped in their tracks harmlessly on the inside of the filter casing.
yeah i figured as much. im going mann from now on. im changing over in about 3k miles. my bosch should hold up for now. did a oil level check yesterday and the oil looked very very good. so im not worried.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:58 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by oilhammer
I'd stick with the Mann filter, too, but the Bosch (made by Purolator or Champion Labs, depending on who got the lowest bid for that batch) is not really a 'bad' filter, but I'd bet Mann is far superior if you bothered to take one apart. They are rated for 30,000 km (although we stick to the 10,000 mile intervals here).
Do you really stick to 10k mile interval? I am in the snow belt. After 6 months even with 2000 miles (ok, mostly city) I see Mobil 1 synthetic really dark. I have been changing for 4 years once in Dec (before winter start) and second in March (after starting to thaw).

Old 06-25-2012, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by biocpu
Do you really stick to 10k mile interval? I am in the snow belt. After 6 months even with 2000 miles (ok, mostly city) I see Mobil 1 synthetic really dark. I have been changing for 4 years once in Dec (before winter start) and second in March (after starting to thaw).
Do NOT stick to a 10k oil change interval, especially if you have a turbo. I did 10k for 120k miles, because that is what Audi recommends. Blew up my engine.
The Audi mechanic shook his head at me and said I should have been changing at 5k at the most - I showed him the PDF from Audi that recommends the 10k interval and he couldn't explain why his own company would publish such a long interval. Probaby becuase for new cars they don't want to pay for changes every 5k miles so they can save money. Change it at 3-5k, or you will blow your engine eventually!!!!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:16 PM
2nd Gear

For future reference there's an even bigger Mann filter that fits, I think it's an updated filter used to help with sludge on transverse 1.8t's. It's absolutely massive, there's barely enough room between the lock carrier and filter housing to slip it on.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
For future reference there's an even bigger Mann filter that fits, I think it's an updated filter used to help with sludge on transverse 1.8t's. It's absolutely massive, there's barely enough room between the lock carrier and filter housing to slip it on.
I'm confused about which Mann filter to get, they say the small and large both fit, but I don't know why they make different sizes for the same application.
I'm assuming I should go with the large due to 1.8 with APR software.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Administrator

APR or not, you want the larger filter and full synthetic. The Mobile1 filter I use is huge.