B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Burnt out instrument cluster lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Default Burnt out instrument cluster lights

So, I did a center vent boost gauge install in my facelift '99 A4. After checking that the gauge worked and red light matched I removed the gauge to cut and fit the vent. I used the power from the air vent lights to power the gauge light, worked great... until I accidentally crossed the wires!!!

Now all the red accent lights for the radio preset buttons, RDS, scan etc., vent dial lights, sun roof dial and the 2 L.E.D.s are out. Speed, fuel, Tach gauges etc. are fine, current radio station and air temp. L.E.D.s are all fine (Air control accent lights are on but very dim).

Dealer quoted $1200+ for a new Instrument Cluster. YEAH... Anyone know of a DIY fix?

TIA

Old 10-27-2009, 10:56 PM
4th Gear

Did ya look for a seperate Fuse?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Tech Guru

Check fuses then check bulbs. Dash bulbs run for like 2 bucks apiece I think. If you need a DIY for taking out the cluster then check out www.audidiy.com. I've found this site pretty helpful for a lot of my DIY fixes.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:44 PM

I referenced the manual, checked, then just checked every fuse in the fuse box (forgot to mention that in OP). I have also found AudiDIY.com very helpful, That's where I got the "Center vent boost gauge install" from, but I wasn't able to find anything for this problem. I even off set the red/black splices to prevent this, and still managed to cross them...

Old 10-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Tech Guru

You said the dealer quoted you $1200 for a new cluster? What does that include exactly? If you end up needing a new cluster go to shokan.com.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the reply's guy's. Yes, quoted $1200 for a new instrument cluster. Now, I thought the "instrument cluster" is the part behind the steering wheel with speedo, tach, fuel etc. gauges, but that part is all working fine. Which leads me to believe that there is some light control relay in the cluster that all the accent lights must run to (maybe near the dimmer ***?). I imagine this could be an easy fix. Anyone know of a "light control" part in the cluster?

note: The dimmer *** is still functional, which dims the still-working gauge cluster, radio station and air temp screens.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:08 PM
4th Gear

Edit: I'm looking, but its kinda hard to see what circuit you were tapping into... What color wires were you tapping into? A Red and a Black?

Edit2; Does the Glove Comp Light work? Cig Lighter, ashtray, AC Control Head, Power mirrors, Drivers heated seat, Alarm, Vanity Lights, etc, etc.

Last edited by Midniteoyl; 10-28-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:36 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by eaks23
some light control relay in the cluster that all the accent lights must run to (maybe near the dimmer ***?). I imagine this could be an easy fix. Anyone know of a "light control" part in the cluster?

note: The dimmer *** is still functional, which dims the still-working gauge cluster, radio station and air temp screens.
there is dimmers in all instrument clusters for the dash lights. Lemme check real quick before I quote where exactly it is. Yeah the trip meter reset, turn it clockwise to brighten.

Last edited by jiggleo; 10-28-2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: finishing
Old 10-29-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Edit: I'm looking, but its kinda hard to see what circuit you were tapping into... What color wires were you tapping into? A Red and a Black?
Yes, The red and black wires that power the vent lights. The only wires in the vents.

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Edit2; Does the Glove Comp Light work? Cig Lighter, ashtray, AC Control Head, Power mirrors, Drivers heated seat, Alarm, Vanity Lights, etc, etc.
The ashtray is out, the AC controls are on but very dim. All other mentioned lights/features are working fine.

Originally Posted by jiggleo
there is dimmers in all instrument clusters for the dash lights. Lemme check real quick before I quote where exactly it is. Yeah the trip meter reset, turn it clockwise to brighten.
How I remember it is the dimmer is on the analog clock adjustment turn CW to brighten, turning the trip meter reset has no function, meh, semantics. Anyway, the dimmer still works... for the lights that still come on. My problem is figuring out how to get all the little lights that illuminate each button to come on again (the # "1" on radio preset button one, the letters "bass" on the bass adjustment button etc. etc., the indicator for which preset has been selected still works)

Thanks again all

Edit: The trip meter reset to 0.0 when i crossed the wires, but it still works.

Last edited by eaks23; 10-29-2009 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Edit:
Old 10-29-2009, 07:26 PM
4th Gear

The ashtray is out, the AC controls are on but very dim. All other mentioned lights/features are working fine.
That helps... I'm looking for a common theme as some of what you mentioned as being out looks to be in a different circuit.. like 3 different circuits

Quick Reply: Burnt out instrument cluster lights