B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A/C freon level

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 06:13 PM
1st Gear
Default A/C freon level

my AC for some reason stopped working the other day. it works fine when i'm driving but whenever i slow down or am just idleing, it stops blowing cold air. i also noticed that my AC fan never comes on. i'm assuming that its the same as mose cars, and that the AC fan comes on whenever you turn on the AC. well mine never comes on. i always thought it did because whenever i let the car idle with the AC on, i can hear a load being put on the engine and then taken off (like the sound of the fan coming on and off) but then i got out and watched the engine while it idled and the AC fan never came on. so i'm assuming that it was my compressorturning on and off. so i made a post asking why my compressor would turn on and off and i was told that if i was low on freon that it would turn on and off. so my question is this....how do i check the level of my freon? and where is the servicing port so i can fill it up if its low??

Old 05-01-2008, 07:35 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: A/C freon level

probably just low on freon, the compressor wont come on or go on and off if the freon pressure is too low.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

yeah thats what everyone is telling me....but how do i check to see if its low? and if it is low, where is the port to refill it?

Old 05-02-2008, 03:55 PM
4th Gear

there are guauges available at most stores, dont know if you ahve a battery cover bt its under that on the pass side, there are 2 a/c lines and you use the smaller one. its idiot proof since the gauge is designed only for the low side R-134a port.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

great, thats what i needed to know, thanks

Old 05-03-2008, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

ok so i filled up the freon and it still didnt help anything. my A/C fan still doesnt come on and its still not cold when at low rpm's. it gets colder as i drive and the rpm's go up, but its still not nearlyas cold as it used to be. what could cause this? could it just be that my fan isnt coming on and so therefore it isnt cooing off the condensor? and thats why it gets colder at higher rpm's cause the wind is cooling the condensor. does that make sense? or what else could it be?

Old 05-05-2008, 02:00 PM
1st Gear

anybody??

Old 05-06-2008, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

If your low on Freon your compressor will NOT turn on until its properly filled.

Have you checked your fuses under the dash? You'll have to take the knee bolster off in order to see it.
There are some fuses there you should take a look at to see if thats where the problem lies. I belive they were 40amp fuses and then theres 1 5amp fuse there

Looks something like this

Old 05-06-2008, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

i havent seen any fuse box like that in my car. i looked at the litte fuse box located in the drivers side door jam on the side of the dash and none were blown. i guess i can search for a fuse box looking like that one and see if any are blown. it just doesnt make sense to me that it blows cold air when i'm driving at high speeds ( although not very cold still, but its still conditioned some though) but maybe there is a fuse just for my fan and thats why its not coming on. thanks, i'll keep looking

Old 05-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Site Moderator

Hold your horses buddy, you're going about this all wrong.
1) Did you check for faults in the A/C control head using the VAG COM? If the ECON button stays lit all the time it means there is a major malfunction or you are out of R-134a.
2)Of course the air conditioner feels cooler when you're at high speeds, its getting air rammed into the condenser. If the fan isn't working then no air is moving through the condenser which means ITS ALWAYS GONNA BE HOT AIR IF YOUR NOT MOVING! Check for voltage at the fan after you check the faults.
3) Never, i mean never just throw in refrigerant if you don't know whats wrong with the A/C system, it almost never fixes the problem. Plus you don't know how much refrigerant to put in, overcharging the system is just as bad as undercharging it.
4) That fuse panel in the pic above is behind the panel under the steering wheel.....you have to take it off.

............ok im done ranting now. [&o]

Quick Reply: A/C freon level