B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

catalytic converter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:26 AM
1st Gear
Arrow catalytic converter?

Ok, so I've had my 2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro for a few months and I've had to make some repairs (the air pump being the most expensive). Now the check light engine just turned on again. I took it to my mechanic and he told me that the problem is the catalytic converter, that I should take it to a muffler repair shop because they have all the tools and everything. He wouldn't give me an estimate, but for his expressions it seems that I'm going to be spending some money.
I'm planning on changing it soon since it's starting to smell and the car doesn't feel the same, it feels like it has lost potency.
Do you guys have any tips to go about this problem? Should I buy the converter myself and just take it to the shop? If so, where should I get it?
How much does it usually cost?

Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:57 AM
3rd Gear

if they cant give you an estimate before starting work, go somewhere else. in atleast most states they are required to give you an estimate before you hand your keys over.

are you sure that its the car that is bad and not just a bad O2 sensors throwing a bad code? you can buy generic cats for like $150 and have a muffler shop weld it on. OEM cats are like $450 or so.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 PM
1st Gear
Red face

Originally Posted by ghost6303
if they cant give you an estimate before starting work, go somewhere else. in atleast most states they are required to give you an estimate before you hand your keys over.

are you sure that its the car that is bad and not just a bad O2 sensors throwing a bad code? you can buy generic cats for like $150 and have a muffler shop weld it on. OEM cats are like $450 or so.
My mechanic wouldn't give me an estimate because he wasn't going to do the job, I just asked him if he had an idea of how much I was going to be spending, so I'm not too worry about it.
I think that the car is bad because of the smell, the lost potency and it is also using more gas... how could I make sure? He deleted the codes from the computer and they came up again... plus the car now has about 130k miles on it, so it's probable that it needs a new catalytic converter, right?

Where can I get a generic cat? Is it better to get the OEM?

Old 06-04-2009, 01:14 PM

ecstuning has generic cats. As far as being sure what the problem is, take your car to autozone and have them scan the codes for you. Is your check engine light flashing or just solid?

Once you get your codes search this forum for them and see what you find.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:19 PM
1st Gear
Originally Posted by compmanben
ecstuning has generic cats. As far as being sure what the problem is, take your car to autozone and have them scan the codes for you. Is your check engine light flashing or just solid?

Once you get your codes search this forum for them and see what you find.
I've taken the car to my mechanic (a guy whom I trust) twice. The first time it gave an error for the catalytic converter. He deleted the codes just to make sure that it wasn't anything else. The same code came up again. He showed me the results on his device.

Btw, The engine light is just solid.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:32 PM
4th Gear

Since you have a 1.8t, this is a great time tio upgrade to either a high flow cat, or a test pipe. The higher exhaust flow will enable your turbo to spool better. You can buy one, and then take it to a shop to have it installed.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:41 PM
1st Gear
Red face

Originally Posted by acetrebo
Since you have a 1.8t, this is a great time tio upgrade to either a high flow cat, or a test pipe. The higher exhaust flow will enable your turbo to spool better. You can buy one, and then take it to a shop to have it installed.
Sounds like a good idea... but I don't know much about it.
How do I look for one that can be used on my car? What would the price difference be?
Will it use more gas?
Sorry about the dumb questions

Old 06-04-2009, 01:54 PM
4th Gear

there are higher flow cats available, like twice the airflow of stock, that will still meet emisions standards.
There is a also what is called a test pipe, which is just a straight empty pipe, with no air restriction. (not exactly legal though, but done widely).

http://www.ecodetuning.com/shop/cart...t_detail&p=370

http://www.car-stuff.com/store/?N=91...882+1574+11921

It will only use more gas, if you're driving it harder. I would think it would make the system slightly more efficient.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:59 PM
1st Gear
Red face Any recommendations?

So I went to a shop today and they gave me an estimate for $800 w/labor included.
I asked the guy how much he'd charge just for labor if I got the cat myself, he said $300.
Is that a good price?

Also, I looked for compatible cats on eBay and they're cheap (as cheap as $130), but I don't trust eBay too much for those things, specially since I don't know much about them.
I took a look at the page that acetrebo cited. I was wondering how good would it be to buy this cat: http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/au...300328701.html
Any other suggestions?

I'll appreciate your help!

Old 06-05-2009, 01:46 PM
4th Gear

Yeah, that eastern cat looks good, should be an inprovement in flow over stock.

I'd shop around for a shop that would do it cheaper.

I know for sure I could find someone around here do it for around 100 bucks or less.

I mean, with the proper tools, this is like a 20 minute job, with no welding. its "unbolt the old, bolt on the new. So, 300 is ridiculous for this.

It's possible that some folks may not know on this car where it is located, or how hard the job is. Get the part first, and drive to a muffler shop or two (like tuffy or similar) and show them where the cat is, and ask for a price. I bet you get it done cheaply.

Good luck, let us know how it works out once you get it all done!

Quick Reply: catalytic converter?