B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Chipped, questions on what I'm doing next

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Chipped, questions on what I'm doing next

I got a chip like 2 weeks ago and I have been needing a DV and been wanting to do a few other things

DV: I need a DV, I'd like one that makes a little more sound then stock, but I don't want anything loud and obvious, which should I choose?

Intake: I hear I don't need a cold air intake, so should I just get a regular KN air filter? any sizes or part numbers to reccomend?

Exhaust: I'm thinking ofa Borla exhuast, there is a shop nearby that can get one in for 750$CAN for full catback, does this sound good? I want an exhuast that isn't extra loud or anything. I want something classy. Does this sound good?

Snub mount: Is it worth it with just a chip?

Also, I have a big scratch on my trunk (from previous owner) and a dull spot on the paint where old dealer stickers used to be, can a auto detail shop fix this?

edit: Also, I would like an FMIC, I wanted a kit that fits with all pipes, but they all seem to be like 1000$, there is the 150$ fmic on diy, but I would like the correct fitting pipes, is there anything in between?

Thanks,
Glen

Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 PM
Tech Slut
Default RE: Chipped, questions on what I'm doing next

ORIGINAL: dr_zoidberg

I got a chip like 2 weeks ago and I have been needing a DV and been wanting to do a few other things

DV: I need a DV, I'd like one that makes a little more sound then stock, but I don't want anything loud and obvious, which should I choose? none of them will be obnoxious, or even loud at all on the stock intake.

Intake: I hear I don't need a cold air intake, so should I just get a regular KN air filter? yes any sizes or part numbers to reccomend?

Exhaust: I'm thinking ofa Borla exhuast, there is a shop nearby that can get one in for 750$CAN for full catback, does this sound good? I want an exhuast that isn't extra loud or anything. I want something classy. Does this sound good? borla sounds very good, but not the quietest one out there... price seems right

Snub mount: Is it worth it with just a chip? no not really

Also, I have a big scratch on my trunk (from previous owner) and a dull spot on the paint where old dealer stickers used to be, can a auto detail shop fix this? probably but i cant see it so.

Thanks,
Glen

Old 03-25-2008, 12:26 AM
1st Gear

what is the quietest classy sounding exhuast then? APR?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:33 AM

ebay FMIC like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32

Old 03-25-2008, 12:34 AM

Cold air intakes=Better performance, got intake?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:38 AM

your next step is definitely a dv and exhaust. I would go turbo-back instead of just cat-back, you'll notice a lot more power. i would use techtonics for the exhaust system cuz its 2.5" with borla mufflers. i would get the forge splitter if you want a louder sound then stock, but not insane like a bov. you'll also want to get a boost guage installed sometime soon.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:49 AM
Tech Slut

ORIGINAL: pimphell

yea, one might think

Old 03-25-2008, 02:04 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: dr_zoidberg

I got a chip like 2 weeks ago and I have been needing a DV and been wanting to do a few other things -

DV: I need a DV, I'd like one that makes a little more sound then stock, but I don't want anything loud and obvious, which should I choose?

Intake: I hear I don't need a cold air intake, so should I just get a regular KN air filter? any sizes or part numbers to reccomend?

Exhaust: I'm thinking ofa Borla exhuast, there is a shop nearby that can get one in for 750$CAN for full catback, does this sound good? I want an exhuast that isn't extra loud or anything. I want something classy. Does this sound good?

Snub mount: Is it worth it with just a chip?

Also, I have a big scratch on my trunk (from previous owner) and a dull spot on the paint where old dealer stickers used to be, can a auto detail shop fix this?

edit: Also, I would like an FMIC, I wanted a kit that fits with all pipes, but they all seem to be like 1000$, there is the 150$ fmic on diy, but I would like the correct fitting pipes, is there anything in between?

Thanks,
Glen
Thanks for taking the time to search a bit before posting. I agree with everybody posts, so I'm not going to be redundant but I wanted to tell ya that the borla - cat back exhaust sounds pretty nice IMO. At idle, it has a quiet/deep pur to it. But at WOT, you really hear it. My fiance says it makes her a little sick - so you may want to consider that. Happy modding

Old 03-25-2008, 09:33 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: pimphell

They don't help that much as the turbo heats the incoming air anyway

Old 03-25-2008, 08:10 PM
3rd Gear

The Borla cat back is fine, but you can do better than that on a price.
Allexhaust.com will save you maybe $80-$100.
Don't forget to pick up the cat-to-downpipe gasket and 3 new bolts at the dealer.
The Boral sounds great - andI thinkyou know how to find video clips on youtube by now.

ONE WARNING - the2-1/4" Borla cat back is not going to be big enough exhaust for a BT down the road.
If you plan on going BT, save yourself the money and time and get a 3" exhaust.

Quick Reply: Chipped, questions on what I'm doing next