B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

clutch finally went out today...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:55 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default clutch finally went out today...

but it got me out of work early though. I knew I was going to need to get a new clutch soon, but soon has become now.

I made a bunch of calls looking around for the best deal and I found ABD Racing. I'm upgrading to a stage II clutch since I plan on going BT sometime soon and I'm going with a 12 lb aluminum flywheel as well. ~1500 bucks out the door.

I've never had to look into this kind of work before. Is this a decent deal? I feel like I'm getting pretty reasonable pricing, but I don't have any frame of reference here. Your input is needed.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

i heard that a lwfw for a dd kinda sucks but thats just what i heard i could be completly wrong.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:00 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Originally Posted by coleA4
i heard that a lwfw for a dd kinda sucks but thats just what i heard i could be completly wrong.
They definitely make a difference. You don't see HP gains on a dyno because a lightweight flywheel isn't an energy producing device. The gains come from your engine having to spin less mass to make your car move. It effectively makes your car feel lighter to your engine. In other words, the HP you already have is more efficient in moving your car.

Plus it comes bundled with the package. So I'm doing it.

Last edited by love the booB5; 09-12-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:26 PM
2nd Gear

sounds kinda high to me. ive priced out stage 4 kits for less then that. look into southbend and SPEC. if theres any big shows comming up that you can wait for they sell them really really cheap there.

something tells me ill be posting a thread just like this soon too. haha. good luck w/ everything.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:32 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Originally Posted by 01afour
sounds kinda high to me. ive priced out stage 4 kits for less then that. look into southbend and SPEC. if theres any big shows comming up that you can wait for they sell them really really cheap there.

something tells me ill be posting a thread just like this soon too. haha. good luck w/ everything.
That 1500 includes the install too. Parts themselves were around 900. I just made the call to get the parts ordered. I'm going to look into how much of a pain in the *** it would be to do the install myself and then decide who's going to do it when it all comes in on Wed/Thurs.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:38 PM
2nd Gear

oh then that sounds about right.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:51 PM
5th Gear

go with southbend instead. i got my stage 5 clutch and lwfw for like 700, so you could get a stage 3 and lwfw for around 5 or 6.

i dont know if he still does it, but there's a guy on audizine called slayerrule, who can get you a discount. its worth askin

Old 09-12-2008, 09:34 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Originally Posted by chaos92287
go with southbend instead. i got my stage 5 clutch and lwfw for like 700, so you could get a stage 3 and lwfw for around 5 or 6.

i dont know if he still does it, but there's a guy on audizine called slayerrule, who can get you a discount. its worth askin
I think it's too late for any of that now. I called the guy at ABD Racing earlier and told him to order the kit for me. I need my car back ASAP. Since this all happened, I've wanted to hop into it to take off for a drive and a smoke, to buy food, to go on a beer run, to cruise to a buddy's house, for another drive and a smoke, and every time I've caught myself just as I'm about to leave... and I'm disappointed all over again.

So I bought it before close of business today so they could order the parts in ASAP and get everything installed sometime in the middle to end of next week. I'll definitely keep southbend in mind if I decide I need to go stage III or higher though. Thanks for the heads up, even if it is a little too late.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:12 PM
4th Gear

You should have hit me up since it seems your in socal and I could have gave you a deal and even lined up a shop to do the install. I sell a Southbend package which an be ordered with a 9 lbs, 11lbs, 15lbs or 20lbs flywheel. I also sell Spec and Clutch Masters.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 09-12-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:37 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Originally Posted by Mike@DTH
You should have hit me up since it seems your in socal and I could have gave you a deal and even lined up a shop to do the install. I sell a Southbend package which an be ordered with a 9 lbs, 11lbs, 15lbs or 20lbs flywheel. I also sell Spec and Clutch Masters.
yeah it looks like I could have gotten a stage 3 kit from you for the same price as the stage 2 I ordered yesterday. I'll keep you in mind if I need further upgrades though.

I've only ordered the parts. I still need someone to install all of this. I know I could do it, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of disconnecting the driveshaft, completely removing the tranny, and then screwing with the install. what shops did you have in mind? ABD is looking to charge me about 600 for the install. if you know a place that can beat that, let me know. thanks man.

Quick Reply: clutch finally went out today...