B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Clutch and flywheel replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Default Clutch and flywheel replacement

I have a 97 A4 quattro with a 2.8L. My clutch needs to be replaced and I think I am going to go with a Spec stage 2 clutch. However, I have been told that instead of trying to get my flywheel resurfaced that I need to just buy a new one. Is this true? If so, does anyone know of any aftermarket aluminum flywheels for the 2.8L?

thanks

Gerard

Old 07-27-2009, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

I've heard both, up until a few weeks ago I had never thought that we could resurface our flywheels, now I think you may be able to according to some things I've read/heard. I'm interested to hear what everyone else has to say about this too

Old 07-27-2009, 05:06 PM

I'm planing on resurfacing my flywheel when i do my clutch, (mike will probably chime in soon) but you can get a lightweight fw from ringer-racing.com

Audi does NOT recomend resurfacing of the fw, but then again nor do they want you to resuface rotors, or flush coolant & tranny fluids.....

Old 07-27-2009, 05:24 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by paskalee
I have a 97 A4 quattro with a 2.8L. My clutch needs to be replaced and I think I am going to go with a Spec stage 2 clutch. However, I have been told that instead of trying to get my flywheel resurfaced that I need to just buy a new one. Is this true? If so, does anyone know of any aftermarket aluminum flywheels for the 2.8L?

thanks

Gerard
I sell a light weight flywheel for the 2.8, it is from Clutch Master. Price is $650. http://www.ringer-racing.com/product...=5&productId=8

I can also offer a Clutch Masters clutch/flywheel package if you are interested.

I also offer South Bend clutch kits and they offer free resurfacing of the stock flywheel, you just end up paying for the shipping of the flywheel back to you at the time of the clutch order. http://www.ringer-racing.com/product...=5&productId=2

If you still have a OEM flywheel on your 97 and you have high miles you stock flywheel is most likely near the end of its life. It would be a waste of time and money having it resurfaced at that point, better off just getting a single mass flywheel at that point.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 07-27-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:09 PM

ok, I am assuming it is the orginal flywheel; I bought the car used and I dont know if the clutch has ever been changed; the car now has about 190,000 miles. Is the clutch masters flywheel that you offer, a single mass then? If so will it still work with the Spec Stage 2 clutch?

Last edited by paskalee; 07-28-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:57 PM
4th Gear

It is a single mass flywheel but it only works on the 30 valve. So if you have a 12 valve your only option is getting a new dual mass flywheel, I can offer a stock daul mass for $799 shipped in the 48 states. But if you do in fact have a 30 valve then yes it will work for you since its made as a OEM replacement, so pretty much any Clutch made for the stock flywheel will work on this flywheel but just make sure its a clutch setup with a sprung hub.

I just put up a special for a Clutch Masters FX300(kevlar) clutch and this billet aluminum flywheel package on my site. The package price is $105 off my normal sale price and about $315 off retail plus the cost of shipping since my prices include ground shipping in the 48 states.

http://www.ringer-racing.com/product...=5&productId=7

If you just want the flywheel itself http://www.ringer-racing.com/product...=5&productId=8

Here is a picture of the Clutch Masters A4 2.8 Billet aluminum flywheel, it was just taken today while I was at their shop.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 07-29-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:25 AM
2nd Gear

How can one tell if the flywheel needs resurfacing? I am going to take my car in soon when I get a chance and get the clutch redone. I want to know that my flywheel is good before I go hauling off and resurfacing it. Also, mike, I have a 1998 A4 1.8T. 175k miles. I plan on some lighter mods, (chip, exhaust, other basic things) and can't see my car going over 250hp. Possibly if I can afford it and my turbo kicks it I'll upgrade to an elim kit. Before you recommended a stage 3 clutchmasters, but I think I'd rather do southbend. I've heard good things. I daily drive this thing and when school gets out its stop/go traffic for a while. I want something thats going to be comfortable enough to drive around in and not get pissed, but still tough enough to take some spirited driving or the occasional (once a year?) 1/4 mile. Do you recommend a stage 2 or 3 southbend? Or do you still recommend a clutchmasters? (if so, sell me on it

Old 07-29-2009, 02:25 AM
2nd Gear

jeez, that was a novel lol

Old 07-29-2009, 02:53 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by kayakman13
How can one tell if the flywheel needs resurfacing? I am going to take my car in soon when I get a chance and get the clutch redone. I want to know that my flywheel is good before I go hauling off and resurfacing it. Also, mike, I have a 1998 A4 1.8T. 175k miles. I plan on some lighter mods, (chip, exhaust, other basic things) and can't see my car going over 250hp. Possibly if I can afford it and my turbo kicks it I'll upgrade to an elim kit. Before you recommended a stage 3 clutchmasters, but I think I'd rather do southbend. I've heard good things. I daily drive this thing and when school gets out its stop/go traffic for a while. I want something thats going to be comfortable enough to drive around in and not get pissed, but still tough enough to take some spirited driving or the occasional (once a year?) 1/4 mile. Do you recommend a stage 2 or 3 southbend? Or do you still recommend a clutchmasters? (if so, sell me on it

If you plan on launching the car I would still suggest the Clutch Masters over a South Bend stage 3 or Stage 4(suggested for a Elim kit). The people that have bought the CM FX300(stage 3) have been very happy with the way it engages and how well it holds the power.

A SB stage 3 is not going to be enough for a Elim and wont really hold that if you plan on launching the car since its a clutch setup really suited for a chipped or K04 setup on a quattro car.

Here is a post from one of my customers that just swapped from a 8 pad segmented FX400 to a Kevlar FX300 disk.

I haven't had the chance to take it for a full drive yet. But after me and my dad installed everything yesterday I started it up and rolled back and forth in the garage (1st and reverse) and all I can say is that the clutch is butter smooth. I was trying to replicate what I would have to do to make the fx400 shudder, but to no avail. I can tell the clutch still has at least some grabbing power, but is still butter smooth. The material on the clutch disc will allow the disc, flywheel and pressure plate last muchhh longer than the ceramic; it's so nice and smooth (as I said above, it feels like suede). I'll throw in some more details when I take it out.
and then a post the following day.

Well I took the car for its first drive right now and all I have to say is that, this is clutch I should have gone with in the beginning(originally was my first decision). It feels just like OEM, it is just absolutely SMOOOOOOOTHH. love it. TT-S wheel, podi stepper gauge and a new clutch and now I have a HUGE smile on my face. Good day! I'm in love all over again.

Mike H- Tell Luis thanks for his help and let him know that I would recommend this clutch to anyone who wants more clamping power (110% more according to CM) and OEM feel. It is just smooth. Thanks for your help as well.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:10 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds great! Ok, I think you've sold me. How much do you charge for a FX300 kit? I just want the clutch/pressure plate/etc, no flywheel.

Also, what are some good signs that the flywheel needs to be replaced?

Quick Reply: Clutch and flywheel replacement