B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Cluth question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Cluth question

I dunno if it's just how these cars are or not but I figured I'd ask. Does the clutch pedal always have so much movement to be engaged? I might just be used to my others cars where I would be able to keep my heel on the floor and just have to press my foot forward to engage it. I have to actually use my leg now to do the same, it seems the clutch doesn't seem to grab until i let the pedal way out. Is this normal or does something need adjusting?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear

Normal and super annoying.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

haha alright well thats good to know i guess. dont need to replace the clutch or anything atleast.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:08 AM
1st Gear

I'm so glad i read this, I have been worried about this for a long time, thought my clutch was ready for the big scrap heap in the sky. Doesn't help that some days I hear a rattle develop when my clutch pedal is fully depressed. Anyone have any ideas of a cause of this, and hopefully a solution?

1.8 2000 with 131k miles on the clock.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:13 AM
2nd Gear

Can you give more details about the rattle?

"Could you describe the ruckus, Sir?"

Old 09-28-2009, 09:51 AM
1st Gear

Ok. First off I'm not sure of the protocol here so ill just apologise for "jacking" this thread, if I should start a new one then just say so.

Since you asked so nicely:
1.8NA FWD Manual 2000 with131k Miles on the clock (just to recap it all). As far as I know its all stock.

Ok so doesn't happen every time i depress the clutch, but it seems like if it happens once it will stay for a few shifts then go away again. I dont know what sounds "Chatter" or "Rattle" are meant to describe, but both words seem to describe what i am hearing. Its not loud, but i can hear it clearly in the car with windows and sunroof closed. I read a description in another thread of a sound like "blowing on tinfoil". Again this is not unlike what i am hearing, sounds a little more solid though.

Happens when clutch is fully depressed and the car is stationary or moving, mostly stationary though, first starting off or at traffic lights, Neutral to first (though i dont think the gear box is to blame). Clutch never slips.

I would say it sounds like something rotating but that is just my impression.

Gear changes and all that are fairly smooth. I do slightly rev the engine before taking off or the revs drop and the car would stall unless I let the clutch out slowly.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 AM
2nd Gear

Well, clutch chatter is often caused by bad engine mounts, so start by checking those. There are three of them (including the "snub" mount at the front). Check the transmission mounts as well.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:21 AM
4th Gear

So you are hearing it when you are pushing the pedal to the floor or when you are not touching the pedal at all?

The sound you might be hearing is the dual mass flywheel, at some point the dual mass springs get soft and when this happens it ends up having too much play. When the play gets to be too much it can turn into a clunk when you engage the clutch from a stop.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

First off, cheers for the help.

Engine mounts look ok, no goop visible and the only time i get a vibration is the odd time at idle the revs will bounce around for a few seconds ~600 - 1000 and ill feel a little bounce. Dont think this problem is related, but it might be i suppose. Any other suggestions?

It occurs when I am pushing the clutch peddle.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:37 PM
2nd Gear

I would consider what Mike said, then. I think he knows more about these setups than I do. I'm more of a GM guy. It can be hard to pinpoint that kind of thing though.

Quick Reply: Cluth question