B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Coolant Leak and Bad Cat Converter! Thoughts??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 05:41 PM
1st Gear
Red face Coolant Leak and Bad Cat Converter! Thoughts??

I have a 2001 a4 quattro with 180,500 miles. My knowledge of cars in general is very minimal and I could use some insight from all you smart people! Please

1. I have a coolant leak that leaves a puddle under the passenger side of the engine every day. It's right at the front end of the car, just left of center. First mechanic said they couldn't find where it was coming from (although I suspect they didn't really look). Second mechanic added green dye to the coolant to try and pinpoint the leak since my engine is covered in oil from a previous oil leak.

I looked under the car, above the green puddle, and I see coolant all over what looks like a small vent or fan housing? (black plastic). I can't see any of the dye when looking down from the top of the engine, and it seems pretty isolated to just the one area, although it's dripping from about a 6 inch radius around that part. I'll try and post a photo of the area later tonight.

I assume that if it was as simple as a cracked hose, the mechanic(s) would have been able to see that right away. Where else could it possible be coming from? Any thoughts?

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/att...1&d=1439415353

2. CEL light came on, mechanic said it was the catalytic converter and quoted around $900 for parts/labor. I've read a ton of good reviews on the "CRC Gaurenteed To Pass" fuel system cleaner from walmart. Anyone had any luck with that on their audi? Also, I've heard of people putting Laquer Thinner in the gas tank to clean the Cat. I do feel issues in performance - feels misfire-y) but perfectly drivable. Thoughts?

I'm planning to sell the car soon and want to tackle these 2 issues before anything else goes bad.

Thanks!

- Jesse

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak and Bad Cat Converter! Thoughts??-61948820-0530-450a-bbc9-e674b230e46b.jpg  

Last edited by Jspeer; 08-12-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:31 PM
2nd Gear

1) Can you dry everything off and work from there? I.e. dry everything that looks wet above the puddle, then in a few minutes/hours go back out and see what's wet again. Then dry THAT off and go back in a few minutes and see what's wet THEN. It should give you an idea of where it's coming from by working "up" towards the leak.

2) Not sure about the cat, but can you get a code reader (friend, borrow from autoshop - usually free, etc.) and scan yourself. It'll give you a code and we can work from there. If it IS the cat that's an issue to tackle.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

Here's a pic of the dyed coolant under the engine - this is about 2 feet in from the front passenger side tire, and less than a foot from the front bumper:

That's a good idea @elduderino200 - I'll try to clean up what's there now and wait until it starts up again to try and pinpoint the source - it also doesn't help that I have no clue what any part of the engine is lol. Might just take some pics as the leak starts again and show them to the mechanic, and you guys.

As far as the Cat Converter goes - Mechanic said he got the P0430 code so he knows it's the cat. I hear you can drive on a "bad" cat converter indefinitely as long as it's not completely clogged up - so I'd just like to clean it out as best I can without having to remove it, and then get the CEL off so I can sell it without having to try and explain the CEL away to the buyer.

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited by Jspeer; 08-13-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear

Yes you can drive with a sub-par cat as they are more for the environment, but you won't pass inspection (if you are the buyer care). Also, from what I understand (never experienced it myself or heard of it happening first-hand) if it's REALLY bad, it'll will cause too much back pressure and could crack your exhaust manifold.

But yes, regarding your coolant, I would clean up everything as best you can. That stuff can get everywhere when it drips and when you drive so lord know where it originated. Clean it up then go back and see if you can find the source.