B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Coolant Temperature increases after turned off

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Default Coolant Temperature increases after turned off

so I have an 01' 1.8T 145K miles. here is my problem, after the car runs for a while and the oil gets up to temperature (which has also been worrying me because the oil now gets up to 225 usually it was a little over 200 before a new thermostat replacement) is that normal?

back to my original problem...during operation the coolant temp gauge stays at middle mark, but when I turn the car off to go into a store and come back the temperature is now to the first mark past middle (and sometimes more) but then will go back to zero after a minute or two of driving around. so here is whats been done to the car recently not in relation to the problem that would, in my opinion prevent a problem like this:

- I've had the coolant sensor replaced with the new green one 6-8 months ago.

- had the coolant drained and replaced.
coolant is full and looks good. its been replaced like 3 times over the past two years.

had a new thermostat installed over the winter (heater wasn't working right)

I've also had: but dont think it matters
heater flushed
a new A/C compressor put in last summer
some seals replaced can't remember which ones off the top of my head but can get the record if needed.

I read something about a secondary auxiliary water pump could this have failed.
thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bconradphilly
so I have an 01' 1.8T 145K miles. here is my problem, after the car runs for a while and the oil gets up to temperature (which has also been worrying me because the oil now gets up to 225 usually it was a little over 200 before a new thermostat replacement) is that normal?

back to my original problem...during operation the coolant temp gauge stays at middle mark, but when I turn the car off to go into a store and come back the temperature is now to the first mark past middle (and sometimes more) but then will go back to zero after a minute or two of driving around. so here is whats been done to the car recently not in relation to the problem that would, in my opinion prevent a problem like this:

- I've had the coolant sensor replaced with the new green one 6-8 months ago.

- had the coolant drained and replaced.
coolant is full and looks good. its been replaced like 3 times over the past two years.

had a new thermostat installed over the winter (heater wasn't working right)

I've also had: but dont think it matters
heater flushed
a new A/C compressor put in last summer
some seals replaced can't remember which ones off the top of my head but can get the record if needed.

I read something about a secondary auxiliary water pump could this have failed.
thanks in advance for any advice.
having the same problem you are and my 01 is at 78k

Old 08-07-2010, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

ditto to that. just started happening to me after timing belt/water pump/thermostat change.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:24 PM
1st Gear

LOL what's going on with our car's!!!!

Old 08-08-2010, 07:03 AM
2nd Gear

That may be normal as the engine is still very hot and after you turn the car off, coolant is no longer moving through the radiator and no fan is pulling cool air across it- so the temp will rise a bit.

As for the oil temp, you may want to replace that sensor too. If it's never been replaced it may just be reading wrong, or the contact might be dirty or something.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:10 AM

i've never had this problem before though, my coolant temp sensor has been faulty for years and just never had it replaced (stupid thing to do) but once I did get it replaced this started to happen and the coolant temp gets pretty hot past the 1 line right of middle. my main concern is the engines prolonged exposure to excessive temperatures., it doesn't seem to decrease as quickly as it use to, so is there something in the car that cools the engine down afterr you turn it off. I Know the 01' a4 doesn't have an after run coolant pump. I have always been good about waiting atleast a minute to let the turbo cool down, but that seems to have no effect on this problem. the engine gets really hot and stays that way for long periods of time.

is the oil temperature something I should be worried about. is running at 225.? is the sensor expensive to have replaced?

Old 08-08-2010, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 99A4NOW
That may be normal as the engine is still very hot and after you turn the car off, coolant is no longer moving through the radiator and no fan is pulling cool air across it- so the temp will rise a bit.

As for the oil temp, you may want to replace that sensor too. If it's never been replaced it may just be reading wrong, or the contact might be dirty or something.

x2!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 02:25 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bconradphilly
i've never had this problem before though, my coolant temp sensor has been faulty for years and just never had it replaced (stupid thing to do) but once I did get it replaced this started to happen and the coolant temp gets pretty hot past the 1 line right of middle. my main concern is the engines prolonged exposure to excessive temperatures., it doesn't seem to decrease as quickly as it use to, so is there something in the car that cools the engine down afterr you turn it off. I Know the 01' a4 doesn't have an after run coolant pump. I have always been good about waiting atleast a minute to let the turbo cool down, but that seems to have no effect on this problem. the engine gets really hot and stays that way for long periods of time.

is the oil temperature something I should be worried about. is running at 225.? is the sensor expensive to have replaced?
I think 225 is considered a good oil temp. Mine gets to 225 when going up long uphill grades on the freeway, but never goes over. I'm using fully synthetic 5w40. I used to use 5w30 and it went up to 250 before. I have the same thing with the coolant temp. too when I get gas after driving the car for a while. I just assumed it was normal for these cars.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:55 AM
3rd Gear

wow u goes are retarded that oil temp is just fine anything pass 250 is bad

Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

Well my oil temp stay's at 220 for like ever it does not move from there. It just that littil problem i have with the coolant it just scares the **** out of me when i see that gauge one full quarter to the right after turn on my car.

Quick Reply: Coolant Temperature increases after turned off