B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

a couple really important questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Default a couple really important questions

1. i have a 2000 1.8, what years, share the same fuel pump?

2. where can i find it at a decent price ASAP.

3. does anyone have one they are willing to get rid of ASAP?

4. can the one piece headlights be taken apart because my lights are so dim i think the inside needs cleaning?

the reason that i ask question 1 is that i need a working pump to do the walbro inline pump. number 2 is i have a very short time with the vehicle im borrowing, and number 3 is maybe someone can help me out, and last i cant see sh** in the dark or bad weather so i am bound to have an accident one of these days.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:05 PM
5th Gear

get HIDs. i've yet to see a fogged up one piece headlight. the only way to open it is to bake it. check shokan.com or i saw a post of some1 parting a 99 1.8t a few days ago.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:16 PM

bump...

Old 02-03-2009, 05:27 PM
1st Gear

RE: Headlights....

I took mine apart last week to do a BHLM. First off, I removed all bulbs/wires/clips. I preset the oven at like 250, put the light housings in, turned off the heat, and let sit for about 10 minutes. I put them on cookie sheet with foil. Glue was still sticky, but soft enough to pull lenses off lights. And my 1-piece lights had moisture, so i cleaned them out real good, wiped down with alcohol to help everything evaporate, and stuck them back together. You may need to re-heat them before putting them back together, just to soften the goo again, And that should help it adhere again after you have the clips in place and everything. Other than that, you may want to seal the lens edges with silicone or something. that way, no more moisture.

Umm, but as hiwords said, get hids. Much better light output. But make sure your 1-piece will support them. Mine say "no HID" so uh yeah. ha hope this helps somewhat. sorry for such a long reply.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:28 PM
1st Gear

oh. And call around on a few junk yards, see if they have any pumps. Pick-n-pull style!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:58 PM

once you got the headlight apart can u easily get to the projector housing cause it looks all dirty/fogged up

Old 02-03-2009, 11:13 PM
3rd Gear

i know on mine the plastic is starting to get foggy too, its mostly on the outside because they are pretty old and thats what plastic does. i found some "magical" wipes at walmart that claim to resurface plastic headlights and make them clear again, they cost $19.98 for a few pieces of cloth and the cleaner so i said no thank you, but if you want to give it a try i would be interested to see if it worked or not. if its the plastic itself thats foggy theres not too much that cleaning is going to do. if theres dirt or something on the inside you could try cleaning them. i would use a heat gun over the oven but thats because my girl would kill me if she found me cooking headlights.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ghost6303
my girl would kill me if she found me cooking headlights.
Mine is currently very unhappy about the pile of parts on the dining room table. but i don't have a garage so where else am i supposed to put them!? lol

I agree on the heat gun though, I don't think i trust myself enough to stick headlights in the oven w/o melting something. My halogens are very dim also, and I think HID's would help your situation greatly. As far as the fuel pump, a junk yard would be your best bet, especially given your time constraints. Even with expedited shipping, you're still lookin at a few days to get a pump from a website. With a little luck and a decent junk yard you could have one in your hand in a coupla hours.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:48 PM
3rd Gear

Unless the outer lense is foggy then you should just get HID's. If its the outer lens wet sand it w/ 1500 grit and 2000 grit sand paper then polish it. I usually throw wax on it after that to keep them sealed a little too. It will take some time but will do wonders to foggy lights. I doubt dirt got inside the housing unless you can see moisture sometimes then it would be good to open them and clean and reseal. If you think the its the projector lens then it would only be dirty from the bulb side I think so just take the bulb out and use a q tip or something that can reach in there.

My car has had the VVME kit in it w/ E-Codes since I got it and until last night they have been aimed WAY off. I just aimed them per some instructions I found on vwvortex for Golf E-codes lol and now I can see! It just said put the car in front of a wall mark the center of the vehicle. Pull back 25' measure from the center of the car to the center of the head light and the center of the headlight to the ground then mark 2 spots on the wall at those points. Then line the cut offs up w/ those marks.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by somebody5788
Pull back 25' measure from the center of the car to the center of the head light and the center of the headlight to the ground then mark 2 spots on the wall at those points. Then line the cut offs up w/ those marks.
I think thats a good idea, might do that tonight. By "cut offs", do you mean the edge of the area that's lit up by the headlights?

Quick Reply: a couple really important questions