B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

crack in windshield, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Default crack in windshield, what should I do?

Ive got a crack on my windshield, passenger side, no idea how it got there. can it be repaired?

Also, what's up with the windshield washers on these cars. I barely get any fluid on the windshield, mostly just sprays over the car.?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

pretty sure you cant repair cracks in glass, but you can prevent it from growing into a huge one.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:15 PM
5th Gear

you have to replace it. i get the same problem with the washers, half of what sprays out goes over and washes the rear windshield lol. just jiggle them around a bit

Yea, I got this stuff from autozone called repair a crack, worked surprisingly well on about half the crack and its not noticeable anymore. However, there's still like a 3 inch crack that's visible, but won't get bigger. How else can I repair it?

1st Gear

as for cracks in the glass. if its a full blown crack its really pointless to repair it when new windshields are so cheap and theres not really a way to make it completely invisible. best they can do is fill it and even then its not a great guarentee.

My sprayers act up eventually on every car i've owned. and the tool that fixed it. was a paper clip. most sprayers have almost a ball joint that the sprayer nozzle sits on. stick the clip or a needle or something small into the nozzle and point it where you want it. wala. worked everytime i've tried it.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by hiwords
you have to replace it. i get the same problem with the washers, half of what sprays out goes over and washes the rear windshield lol. just jiggle them around a bit
How much should I be dishing out for a new windshield?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:18 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dbansal
Yea, I got this stuff from autozone called repair a crack, worked surprisingly well on about half the crack and its not noticeable anymore. However, there's still like a 3 inch crack that's visible, but won't get bigger. How else can I repair it?
that 3" crack may have came from trying to repair it. you try to force something into a crack and it may cause the crack to spread. Dont believe me try pushing on your windsheild and watch the crack grow and spiderweb. its actually quite amusing if you plan on replacing the windshield anyways.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:18 PM
5th Gear

well in NY you get full glass coverage so mine was free lol. i have no idea how much it is, after watching the guy do it, i can do it myself now lol.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

hey hiwords me and another member on here are trying to setup a meet and cruise and such in upstate NY. Any chance you might be interested?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:22 PM
5th Gear

ya you were talking to thedevil(jeremy). i hang with him all the time so you tell me if i'm interested haha. we're doing an axle change on a passat at his house 2morrow, come down lol

Quick Reply: crack in windshield, what should I do?