B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

CV Joint/CV Boot Replacement

Old 02-09-2014, 11:03 AM
2nd Gear
Default CV Joint/CV Boot Replacement

One of the things the Audi I just got needs is a new outer CV boot the old one to torn pretty bad. I don't know how long its been like this but I know letting them go for a while can cause much larger problems.

I don't feel like giving the mechanic any more money so Ive come here for some advice. Is it best to do both the outer and inner on both front axles or just the outers? Also is it recommended that I replace the CV joint as well? Links to the products you suggest would also help out a lot. Thanks!

Last edited by adam044; 02-09-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

If the tear is new, the joint still has grease in it, and it hasn't started making any funny clicking noises yet, you can get away with replacing the boot and repacking it. If it has started clicking you need to replace the joint as well. No reason to touch the inners if they don't need to be repaired.

A lot of people opt to simply replace the axle instead of dealing with the hassle of rebuilding the CVs.

A pair of Raxle rebuilt OEM axles will cost about $400, FEQ or EMPI axles (cheaper quality aftermarket replacements) will run about $100 each. (I have a pair of FEQ axles on the way to install on my dad's car.)

A boot kit will be ~$35. A boot and joint kit will be $65-80 per side.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:27 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter
If the tear is new, the joint still has grease in it, and it hasn't started making any funny clicking noises yet, you can get away with replacing the boot and repacking it. If it has started clicking you need to replace the joint as well. No reason to touch the inners if they don't need to be repaired.

A lot of people opt to simply replace the axle instead of dealing with the hassle of rebuilding the CVs.

A pair of Raxle rebuilt OEM axles will cost about $400, FEQ or EMPI axles (cheaper quality aftermarket replacements) will run about $100 each. (I have a pair of FEQ axles on the way to install on my dad's car.)

A boot kit will be ~$35. A boot and joint kit will be $65-80 per side.
I don't think I would go non oem on the axles. So for $65-$80 compared to $400 for a boot and joint kit that would make more sense I think. I've seen kits on ECS and also Eeuroparts. The boot kit on Eeuroparts is $15. Which kit do you recommend?

Old 02-09-2014, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear
Old 02-09-2014, 05:33 PM

Can't say much about the boots, I've never bought or replaced one myself. You're best to do a search for the different brands and see if others have some reviews.

I'd like to say a boot is a boot, but sometimes it's not so cut and dry.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:02 PM
2nd Gear

I always used Rein CV boots when mine went bad, I've had to do 3 outers so far. They're pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it, hardest part is pressing the old joint off. I've found the best way is to leave the axle connected at the inner end and use your old axle bolt to press the joint off by just threading it in. The front boots are plastic and have steel clamps so you need a pair of heavy duty CV clamp pliers, I even had to attached 2 small breaker bars to my pliers for more leverage.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:25 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
I always used Rein CV boots when mine went bad, I've had to do 3 outers so far. They're pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it, hardest part is pressing the old joint off. I've found the best way is to leave the axle connected at the inner end and use your old axle bolt to press the joint off by just threading it in. The front boots are plastic and have steel clamps so you need a pair of heavy duty CV clamp pliers, I even had to attached 2 small breaker bars to my pliers for more leverage.
So how do the Rein CV boots hold up? I'm assuming well since you've used them multiple times. Is the link I posted the ones I would want to get? Also is that everything I would need to do 1 front boot, looks like it is to me but I just want to be sure.

Last edited by adam044; 02-09-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:13 PM
2nd Gear

That's all you'll need apart from a new axle bolt. I have less than 30k km on 2 of my boots and less than 5k on the last so I can't really make a judgement this early, but it should hold up fine for a while.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:19 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
That's all you'll need apart from a new axle bolt. I have less than 30k km on 2 of my boots and less than 5k on the last so I can't really make a judgement this early, but it should hold up fine for a while.
Awesome thanks. This should be fun... beats paying the mechanic though thats for sure.

Where do you recommend I get an axel bolt from? I don't want to get the wrong one.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:44 PM

I would just get it from the dealer. Should be $6-10 per bolt. Price can vary a lot depending on the location.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CV Joint/CV Boot Replacement