B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Definitive guide for installing an aftermarket stereo system

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 07:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Definitive guide for installing an aftermarket stereo system

Hello,

I am currently working on a 1998 A4 and trying to get sound to my aftermarket rear speakers. I pulled out the factory speakers and amplifier that attaches to the drivers side speaker and installed my new Kickers.
I have seen (on this forum and others) multiple different kits that people have used in order to power their aftermarket rear speakers. I would like to know which kit I actually need so that I can spend my money once and get exactly what is required.

Thank you

Old 04-04-2017, 01:13 PM
2nd Gear

I actually put a set of Kicker 6.5" 2 way speakers in my rear deck as a direct replacement for the stock subs w/o changing anything. I have an aftermarket H/U. Other than that, I haven't changed anything and my system sounds great..

Old 04-04-2017, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

You mentioned you got an aftermarket head unit. Do you know which wiring harness (part number) came with the new HU? I'd like to replace most of what the PO installed and want to make sure I'm buying the right stuff.
I bought the car and it didn't have rear sound. I put in my kicker speakers and cut some wiring that I though was power for the left rear speaker. This wiring was in a harness that plugged into the factory amplifier. Direct + and - hook up for the right rear speaker.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:51 AM
2nd Gear

I bought the standard "radio installation wiring harness" for my car's make/model. If you cut into the amp harness, that's not good. Those need to be reconnected as they were. That's a harness that you don't want to have to buy or route.

G/L

Old 04-07-2017, 08:17 PM
1st Gear

What aftermarket H/U did you buy. Was is just pull the old unit and plug in the new and that was it. I am not going to change any of the speakers - I just need a new H/U. The volume on the original one will all of a sudden go up to 100% and no matter which way I turn the know it will not go down only up louder.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ProfileTrader
What aftermarket H/U did you buy. Was is just pull the old unit and plug in the new and that was it. I am not going to change any of the speakers - I just need a new H/U. The volume on the original one will all of a sudden go up to 100% and no matter which way I turn the know it will not go down only up louder.
That's only because our radios take a **** after a while.

I bought your run of the mill Kenwood, single Din CD/MP3 player with AUX and USB (front) connections. I like it because it's all red backlit as well.

All you need to do is buy the H/U of your choice, a dash kit and a wiring harness (for aftermarket uses). You can wire the harness outside of the car and even install it in the new dash kit. Then, when you're done, pull the old radio out, unplug it, plug the new one in, pop the dash kit into place and you're done. That's it.

An added bonus is that the new aftermarket H/U will be sending a stronger signal to the amp, which will give you more power and therefore a louder sound system (not to mention richer and more crisp sound, even at low volumes).

G/L and let me know if i can help further.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

Thanks - that's what I wanted.. just a basic one as you described. To confirm - the H/U, dash kit and wiring harness are all sold separately? IS the best (easiest) plade to get them all on amazon.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:51 PM
2nd Gear

Here's everything you need in one kit:

Radio Stereo Mounting Installation Dash Kit SD/DD + Wire Harness + Antenna AU21 | eBay

It's the cheapest kit I could find, while also being correct. It will accommodate a single Din or a Double Din.

G/L

Old 04-10-2017, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ProfileTrader
Thanks - that's what I wanted.. just a basic one as you described. To confirm - the H/U, dash kit and wiring harness are all sold separately? IS the best (easiest) plade to get them all on amazon.

Sonic Electronix is a great website for stereo equipment. Buy a radio and they'll throw in the dash kit and wiring harness for free.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

Thank you A4TurboGuy for the link and help. Also thank you av_navy20160606 for the lead.

Quick Reply: Definitive guide for installing an aftermarket stereo system