B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Depressed over A4 total loss

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:33 PM
1st Gear
Default Depressed over A4 total loss

Hey guys,

My 2000 Audi A4 1.8t was my first car. After saving up for what felt like forever, I bought it for $5,300 when I was 16 with my own money in January 2012 and grew to love it like nothing else in my life. It was blue, had about 130k, manual transmission, and a nearly flawless body. Everyone at school was envious of my ride, I created countless memories in it, had my dad teach me to drive stick in it, and put hard work and thousands of dollars into maintenance just to keep her running. Unfortunately, a month ago I experienced a small engine fire, which was extinguished after about 20 seconds of tossing snow on it. I knew right away that it was totaled and sure enough State Farm deemed it a total loss. The loss of my audi has left me in a perplexed state of mind and I have felt more sorrow than normal people would feel over totaling a car. This is really weird for me because I am typically a happy teenage guy that doesn't allow his emotions to get the best of him. It seems that nobody I know can comprehend the pain I've felt over losing this car. I am posting with the intent that some of you guys will be able to possibly relate, and/or so that I can spread a message to all you B5 owners out there to appreciate the magnificent pieces of machinery you possess. Any thoughts, words of wisdom, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 PM
1st Gear

Like anyone else would most likely say, it's just a car, I know how you feel though. When I built my very first car in high school and after countless hours and thousands of dollars to make it how i wanted it to be, i was t-boned by some idiot who thought crossing the double lines was the smartest move instead of going around me on the right. If it wasn't for my quick actions, I would be dead as the front of his car was in the middle of my drivers seat. I ended up on my buddies lap ( no homo )

You will learn to let the last car go and with your next purchase, you will grow equally fond of the car and enjoy it every day until you also have to let it go for something else. I still kick myself for letting certain cars in my past go, but life goes on and a new projects will be passed on to you down the road.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 AM
4th Gear

A B5 S4 will make you forget. They're a little more pricey, especially for a high schooler though. I can understand how you feel. I would have a hard time letting mine go. I've had it for 4 years, longer than any other car I've owned, and for more miles.

Also pretty cool to see you live in Dover. I grew up in the area, and my youngest son was born at Wentworth- Douglas. My dad worked at the yard for as long as I could remember.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Just talking about this...

I was just talking to a coworker about how attached we can be with our cars. Last superbowl Sunday my step daughter totaled what used to be my brothers car before he passed. I had fixed it and cared for it like it was a piece of him. The only good thing that came from it was I bought my first Audi. There will be more cars and more memories man. I think an unmolested S4 would definitely cheer you up. I'm right next door in Nottingham, NH and have seen quite a few good deals in CL. Even some low mileage B5 S4's for under 4k.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:29 PM
2nd Gear

Similar experience some months back...
its tough but i brought mine back to life couldnt see her die.

Car DIED due to engine fire last night (story inside)

Old 01-25-2013, 09:00 PM
1st Gear

Damn bro. Sucks. As much as it sucks though, there are plenty of audis in the sea.......you know what I mean.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:33 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by B5Soldier
Damn bro. Sucks. As much as it sucks though, there are plenty of audis in the sea.......you know what I mean.
its true but its not the same. I see my self keeping my a4 forever, especially when its your first car.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:15 PM
2nd Gear

i was the same way with mine, i had hit my very first deer in my b5, the car survived but my insurance totalled it, wich paid it off.. i felt like it had been molested, it just wasnt the same car i had grown to love.. i sold it with the salvaged title to a friends dad who had the time and money fix it up, it still isn't the same as it once was.
i know its not as bad as your scenario but i feel ur pain...

but because of that i now have my beautiful b7, im probably more in love with it than my b5.. but theres still that emptiness of my first car that i bought with my own money, that i customed to my liking (never finished it though) and worked so hard to have as my own... im only 22.
my b5 was also blue, 5speed, 1.8t quattro...

Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 PM
2nd Gear

You never forget your first love, and the way it felt when she broke your heart.