B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Diode mod + MBC

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Administrator
Default Diode mod + MBC

Ok for starters, I've read probably 50 threads about installing manual boost controllers on the 1.8T. B5, B6 A4's, B5 Passats, MkI TT, etc and so forth. I've also read the post in the stickies here in our B5 forum, as well as all the replies to that thread. That said, most of the DIY's I've found are full of broken picture links, shitty MS paint drawings and bad photoshops, and missing information. So what I'd like to do is take lots of pictures while I do my install, and turn it into another DIY guide. Now. Before I do that, I have a question:

I've elected to go with a Forge bleed-type boost controller, because everything I've read says that bleeders will provide smoother onset of boost for the K03 than a ball/spring type MBC. I also want to keep the N75 in the loop. All the DIY's I found for keeping the N75 used boost controllers with one inlet and one outlet. The Forge piece I have has three (inlet, outlet, and bleed.) So the question is, can I keep the N75 with a controller like this, and if so, what would the plumbing look like? According to the DIY guide that Cincy did, the MBC should be between the waste gate and the N75, but I found another guide on Passat world where the loop was turbo->MBC->N75->waste gate. As I mentioned, both of these seem to be referring to MBC's with one inlet and one outlet. I realized that I could just tear the N75 out of the TIP and slap this MBC in it's place, but I don't wanna

Flame if you must, but can anyone provide a little insight here?

Old 02-06-2011, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

in for a new diy, since all the old ones like you said are broken. i have the diodes i think. I bought them awhile ago, but just never did the mod.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:11 PM
1st Gear

I have the diodes for stock and chipped. It worked well at preventing overboost codes with my GIAC 93 w/ n75 race but then i got a proper uni stage 2 tune.

The MBC is going to be pretty jerky just to warn you.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Administrator

I've already got 4 diodes and the MBC, I just want a little guidance about keeping the N75 in the loop. I'm gonna do my best to take lots of pics

Old 02-06-2011, 01:20 PM
1st Gear
Default CCA4's #1 hater lol

SWEET! please for the love of god post pics lol cuz im lost as hell on installing the MBC cuz just like you said all the other ones are all jacked up..i wish you luck on the bleed hole.. you could always call the manufacture of the MBC and ask them where the Bleed tube should be hooked up to after all they made the MBC so they should know?.. just trying to help bro

Old 02-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Eh I thought about it, but Forge won't provide platform-specific instructions.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:30 PM
1st Gear

right. but they should be able to atleast give you some sort of detail as to what the Bleed is for and all turbos are relativly the same arent they? i honestly havent a clue and this will be why ill buy just a normal MBC or a EBC with the built in turbo timer lol

Old 02-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Bump for Monday morning. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:53 AM
4th Gear

Like I told some newb, just by the chip, zero chance of messing it up, albeit, a little more expensive.

BTW, I'm not calling you a newb, and I'm fully confident in your ability... but I have no effin' clue about the diode and MBC... but, I'm a 99.5, AEB kinda guy!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Administrator

lol i gotcha Brad. I'm gonna get a tune eventually, but I kinda just wanna do this to see what happens. I'm also gonna go BT at some point so I'm not tryin to drop all kinds of coin on a tune and then turn around and have to swap it out anyway. Plus, you can never have too many DIY's

Quick Reply: Diode mod + MBC