B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

DIY ECU Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:54 PM
1st Gear
Default DIY ECU Tuning Question

Is there a way to buy a cable to connect the ECU to the computer and download a copy of something like APR's tuning and apply it from your own computer to the ECU?

Old 03-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Nope.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Tech Guru

yes there is, you can get a vag cable and write your ecu... just have to know how

Old 03-18-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
yes there is, you can get a vag cable and write your ecu... just have to know how
From Ross Tech's FAQ:
1.12 Can I use VCDS to "Flash" the chip in my ECU?

No, we have investigated flashing, but found that there are several different methods of encryption for various VW/Audi vehicles, as well as delicate licensing issues to overcome. Therefore, we do not intend to pursue flashing any further at this time. You cannot alter boost, timing, fueling, rev limiter, or speed limiter with VCDS. You should contact a chiptuner if you wish to have those parameters altered.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by lm0812
From Ross Tech's FAQ:
right... you don't use ross tech's stuff... i know a guy that had giac and apr on his laptop... there is a forum member that tunes ecu's..... don't answer a question until you know the info

Old 03-18-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
right... you don't use ross tech's stuff... i know a guy that had giac and apr on his laptop... there is a forum member that tunes ecu's..... don't answer a question until you know the info
Lol, sure, I'll hold my tongue next time and leave promoting software piracy to you.

That is what you're advocating correct?

Old 03-18-2011, 04:49 PM
4th Gear

Anyone can write ANY program if they know how. If I write a new word processing program for my computer, am I pirating Microsofts "Word?" Of course not, because it's my work. If APR, GIAC, Speedtuning, etc. can all do it, it's not a matter of piracy if you're not using their program. If Ross Tech doesn't want to pursue the idea, that's on them, that doesn't mean you can't tune it yourself.

Now, if you download the actual APR files illegally, then yes, that is piracy, but I don't think that is the intent here. There are plenty of tuning shops that write custom tunes, it just comes down to simple know-how.

Someone chime in and correct me if I'm wrong here.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:06 PM
4th Gear

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...Tuning/ES1109/

buy a socket. and a blank memory chip.. and bam

Old 03-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Actual WIZARD

If your drive by wire, you can do crude tuning with lemmiwinks

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?1618056

Using an ebay vag cable.

I just have been looking at cables that can read/write to the ECU so I can get in there and rewrite the emissions code so that everything is set to pass all the time. You can buy them and do as im doing, but without a tuned file, your SoL

Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
Anyone can write ANY program if they know how. If I write a new word processing program for my computer, am I pirating Microsofts "Word?" Of course not, because it's my work. If APR, GIAC, Speedtuning, etc. can all do it, it's not a matter of piracy if you're not using their program. If Ross Tech doesn't want to pursue the idea, that's on them, that doesn't mean you can't tune it yourself.

Now, if you download the actual APR files illegally, then yes, that is piracy, but I don't think that is the intent here. There are plenty of tuning shops that write custom tunes, it just comes down to simple know-how.

Someone chime in and correct me if I'm wrong here.
I agree.

Quick Reply: DIY ECU Tuning Question