B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Do I have an Immobilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:44 AM
1st Gear
Default Do I have an Immobilizer?

Is there a surefire way to figure out if you have an immobilizer. Just don't tell me to ask the dealership, they said I did by looking up my vin but I have a feeling they lied to me for more money. Thanks!!!

Old 11-24-2009, 12:47 AM

What year?

Old 11-24-2009, 12:53 AM
1st Gear

2001 but the dealer "said" 2001.5

Old 11-24-2009, 12:54 AM
1st Gear

I pried my keys open and I can see where the chip would go in them but they are hollow and they still start the car.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:51 AM
4th Gear

If it is a 2001 it should have it. You can check by unplugging the cluster and then trying to start the car, if it has the immobilizer the car wont start with the cluster unplugged.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Legal Moderator

yes you have an immobolizer chip. im assuming your asking because you want a remote starter? i worked at circuit city and dealt with this stuff. in order to bypass the immobolizer you need to install a module to fool the computer into thinking there is a key in the ignition. the most common way we did it was by installing an extra key into the bypass module, usually the valet key

Old 11-25-2009, 03:05 AM
1st Gear

Well I called the dealership and the guy there said there should be a led icon on your dash at start-up. Either a little car with a key for wheels or a key with a line through it. I also have opened all my keys and only one has an rfid chip in it, I removed it and that key still works and so do the other two that never had chips, that is pretty definitive for me. Sorry but the whole circuit city thing doesn't have anything to do with my car, I bet you guys put a bypass on every audi that came in there, what a waste of money.

Mike- unfortunately I don't know much about the cluster, but are you sure the only thing connected to the cluster is the immobilizer, because it seems like if you unplug it and it doesn't start then it could be more than just an immobilizer. Have you actually done it on a car without an immobilizer and see it start? I could be very wrong, I wish I knew more about the cluster and I am very hesitant to just go disconnecting things. Sorry guys I was looking for something simple, like starting with the hollow keys.

Last edited by spencerds; 11-26-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:14 AM

Spencerds, maybe the chip was removed and alrdy placed in an immobilizer? Also, when ppl change out computers with different cars this option can chosen to be inactive through programing. Some aftermarket chips can be programed to do this as well. So, dont think just cause ur car doesnt require the use of key chips that ALL audi/vw's are this way

Old 11-25-2009, 01:32 PM
1st Gear

Why don't you look up the VIN breakdown yourself? Better yet, if you have the 3 letter codes in your maintenance manual, look them up. You can find both tools online free.

Lo-Jack might be a better way to spend your money.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by spencerds
Sorry but the whole circuit city thing doesn't have anything to do with my car, I bet you guys put a bypass on every audi that came in there, what a waste of money.
A waste of money? Do you have any idea how immobilizers work? There is a chip in your key that when the key is placed in the ignition it sends a signal to your computer that the proper key is inserted. you could have a key cut exactly like yours but without a chip in it the key is useless. true, there are modules that can be installed instead of a spair key to bypass the requirement, but they usually are much more expensive. and i am 100% positive there is an immobilizer module in your car. it was my job to know.

Quick Reply: Do I have an Immobilizer?