B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Doc depalma's misfire thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 01:35 PM
2nd Gear
Default Doc depalma's misfire thread

Sorry I keep making new threads for the same issue. Will try to focus them all here for a while.

So here's what's going on right now.

I still have the various misfire codes

P0300 - random multiple misfire
P0302 - misfire cyl 2
P0304 - misfire cyl 4
P0305 - misfire cyl 5
also P1606 - rough road or some **** signal

The car has very rough start and is underpowered when driving. Also, I believe my cats may be rotted but am showing no codes related to the exhaust system.

Things I wonder maybe to replace:

-Cyl 2 and 4 are on the same coil, I wonder if they are bad now. Probably will order those in about 3 minutes to check that box (why not throw more money at it)
- There's a small crack in the plastic of the MAF sensor perhaps water got inside
-----will probably replace that as well
-There's a rattle coming from what I believe is the catalytic converter. Stuck the stethoscope on there and am pretty sure there's a dead racoon in there now.

The real question marks are the misfires- if any of this sounds like "no **** dumbass, fix it" to you; please feel encouraged to share with the group. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

First thing first, replace that MAF. If you haven't already, invest in a new coilpack.

In regards to the leaking or clogged CAT, I know what you mean. My left CAT is probably clogged and the inner lining probably got loose or whatever and when I accelerate I can hear it rattle in the CAT also. It feels like there is a loss of power because of this.

Now in regards to the misfire.... If I were you I would take the valve covers off and check the condition of the camshafts and the tensioners. A loose or rattily tensioner can do wonders for you. I highly doubt it but its possible your camshafts lobes have worn down to the point that they aren't opening and closing the valves at the right time.

Im not 100% but I'd put my money on the cam's or tensioners. Then again.. it could just be the MAF and coilpack...

Old 09-16-2013, 04:38 PM
2nd Gear

New MAF and Coilpacks OTW

Old 09-20-2013, 07:56 PM
2nd Gear

Installed new MAF and Coilpacks, still having issues. Think we're getting it narrowed down though.

I'm getting 3 codes:
p1206 - cyl 6 fuel inj
p1205 - cyl 5 fuel inj
p1602 - from having the battery d/c

So we're thinking either bad injectors or bad wiring to the injectors from the icm/ecu. Any other ideas? If you were me where would you start?

Old 09-20-2013, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DOC_DEPALMA
Installed new MAF and Coilpacks, still having issues. Think we're getting it narrowed down though.

I'm getting 3 codes:
p1206 - cyl 6 fuel inj
p1205 - cyl 5 fuel inj
p1602 - from having the battery d/c

So we're thinking either bad injectors or bad wiring to the injectors from the icm/ecu. Any other ideas? If you were me where would you start?
If you want to change out your fuel injectors I have four of them sitting in a box in my garage. They are used, but worked just fine in a buddy's A4 that he wrecked. $50 shipped if you would like them. Could be a bad ICM man. Most of us do the ICM delete and upgrade to the FSI coil packs which are a 3rd of the price of our stock OEM ones.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by xxNeverG1veUpxx
If you want to change out your fuel injectors I have four of them sitting in a box in my garage. They are used, but worked just fine in a buddy's A4 that he wrecked. $50 shipped if you would like them. Could be a bad ICM man. Most of us do the ICM delete and upgrade to the FSI coil packs which are a 3rd of the price of our stock OEM ones.
Are they what I need for a 12v v6? Since you say you have 4 im just wondering if they're out of the 1.8t and if so are they interchangable?

Old 09-20-2013, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

Are they what I need for a 12v v6? Since you say you have 4 im just wondering if they're out of the 1.8t and if so are they interchangable?
Oh shoot, I just assumed you were a 1.8T *facepalm*.

You can always try just getting a rebuild kit for the injectors. You can get them multiple places, but Napa has some for $5 each. They may just have a clogged filter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-V6-Fuel-Injector-Repair-Service-Kit-Seals-Filters-Pintle-Caps-CSKBO16-/200902222870?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec6b4a416&vxp=mtr
Honestly though, I would say you have a faulty ICM. When mine started going it was so scattered. One day it would run fine, the other it would stall out. It's just strange to me that one day you have bad coils and not bad injectors and then the other day you have bad injectors and good coils. Quite strange, but then again we do have Audi's lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-98-Audi-2-8L-V6-OEM-Injectors-Set-078133551E-/300963073989?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4612cc0fc5&vxp=mtr

Last edited by xxNeverG1veUpxx; 09-20-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:37 PM
2nd Gear

Oh shoot, I just assumed you were a 1.8T *facepalm*.

You can always try just getting a rebuild kit for the injectors. You can get them multiple places, but Napa has some for $5 each. They may just have a clogged filter.

Audi V6 Fuel Injector Repair Service Kit Seals Filters Pintle Caps CSKBO16 | eBay

Honestly though, I would say you have a faulty ICM. When mine started going it was so scattered. One day it would run fine, the other it would stall out. It's just strange to me that one day you have bad coils and not bad injectors and then the other day you have bad injectors and good coils. Quite strange, but then again we do have Audi's lol.

1994 98 Audi 2 8L V6 Injectors Set 078133551E | eBay
The ICM should be good, it's been recently replaced, like very recently. I'll probably just replace the injectors. **** it.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

The ICM should be good, it's been recently replaced, like very recently. I'll probably just replace the injectors. **** it.
I would try switching the bad ones around first and see if the codes follow. If not, then I would look to some bad wiring

Old 09-20-2013, 08:45 PM
2nd Gear

I would try switching the bad ones around first and see if the codes follow. If not, then I would look to some bad wiring
Wilco in the morning, updates to follow.

Quick Reply: Doc depalma's misfire thread