B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

door sag and vibration questions...

Old 12-15-2013, 12:26 AM
1st Gear
Default door sag and vibration questions...

Hey guys,
I'm new here and new to the audi world also. I just bought my 98 a4 Quattro with 58000 original miles. I'm in love. I've been driving it for about a month and have a couple things I need to fix.

The first is driver door sag... Door doesn't seem to line up right. Was wondering if this was typical and hopefully easy to fix.

The second is a vibration directly below the center console/ebrake @ around 60mph and usually while braking. Feels a lot like warped rotors but not in the center of the car like that. Any insight would be awesome. Thanks!

Old 12-15-2013, 08:14 AM
2nd Gear

The car has a personality, but the door sag is not a B5 thing. The sheetmetal is galvanized and doesn't rust much. Sure there isn't just a loose hinge bolt or two?

If your vibration is straight below the center console, there are CV joints at each end of the drive shaft and a U-joint with a center bearing support in the middle. The U-joint doesn't usually go bad but the CV joints can, and so can that center bearing support. Do you feel the vibration if you put it in neutral at 60 and then try to stop?

Old 12-15-2013, 10:15 AM
2nd Gear

My driver's door is sagging pretty badly too, I'm pretty sure it happens when people use the door to pull themselves out of the car when they step out. Only thing you can do is buy a new lower hinge, costs around $150 IIRC. There's no adjustment in the hinge, so a new one is the only choice.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
The car has a personality, but the door sag is not a B5 thing. The sheetmetal is galvanized and doesn't rust much. Sure there isn't just a loose hinge bolt or two?

If your vibration is straight below the center console, there are CV joints at each end of the drive shaft and a U-joint with a center bearing support in the middle. The U-joint doesn't usually go bad but the CV joints can, and so can that center bearing support. Do you feel the vibration if you put it in neutral at 60 and then try to stop?
I'll take a closer look at the hinge and pins and whatnot. I haven't put it in neutral and hit the brakes I don't think but cv joint(s) sounds right. I've always driven trucks... much easier to look under and mess with things lol.

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-15-2013, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
My driver's door is sagging pretty badly too, I'm pretty sure it happens when people use the door to pull themselves out of the car when they step out. Only thing you can do is buy a new lower hinge, costs around $150 IIRC. There's no adjustment in the hinge, so a new one is the only choice.
That makes sense. The first owner was an older guy who had the car for 13yrs and 30,000 miles on it lol. I've had it a month and put 2,000 on it

Old 12-15-2013, 01:54 PM
1st Gear

@Mad Cow
I was looking @ my door, and hinges and all that and opened the door and pulled up on it. There is no play anywhere that I can see. What about yours? Is there any noticeable up, down movement if you lift up on the door?

Old 12-15-2013, 04:21 PM
1st Gear

Where abouts is your door not lining up? On the striker plate or along the window trim? You can adjust the window trim by a couple of torx bolts inside the door frame when you take the door card off.

Doug

Old 12-15-2013, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Cybersombosis
Where abouts is your door not lining up? On the striker plate or along the window trim? You can adjust the window trim by a couple of torx bolts inside the door frame when you take the door card off.

Doug
Its at the window trim at the top. So the door has to come off the car to adjust it?

Old 12-15-2013, 05:27 PM
1st Gear

read that wrong... door card. gotcha

Old 12-15-2013, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

When adjusting just make sure you have the window rolled up or it will never be quite right. You will see a couple of wedges in the frame where the bolts are when you open her up. Good luck.

Doug

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: door sag and vibration questions...