B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Door won't open from the inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:40 PM
cbg
Default Door won't open from the inside

My passenger side door will not open via the interior handle, it feels like it is disconnected from the opening mechanism completely. The door opens fine from the outside. Has this happened to anyone before? Suggestions? I'm guessing I'll have to take the door off to do anything with it...

Old 02-16-2009, 03:44 PM
3rd Gear

I've got that problem on the driver's side rear door, f-ing child safety lock doodad. Haven't gotten around to fixing it.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:23 PM
5th Gear

i don't think the front doors have child safety lock. yes ppl have had that problem b4, you need to take the door panel off and check out wuts going on

Old 02-16-2009, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hiwords
i don't think the front doors have child safety lock. yes ppl have had that problem b4, you need to take the door panel off and check out wuts going on
Mine is like that too, I have to undo the door and see whats going on, most likely a part from the dealer

Old 02-16-2009, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

I got the same issue from my drivers door but the weird thing about it is that it only doing it when it's really cold outside and as soon as the inside of the car warm up, it's fine. I've been to the dealer last winter and they fix it but the issue came back this winter ... and I don't want to waste any more money on this since the issue came back ... I got no clue what it's going on in that door panel ... a took it apart and everything look fine to me ... any idea ?

Old 02-17-2009, 12:38 AM
cbg

Originally Posted by sadik666
I got the same issue from my drivers door but the weird thing about it is that it only doing it when it's really cold outside and as soon as the inside of the car warm up, it's fine. I've been to the dealer last winter and they fix it but the issue came back this winter ... and I don't want to waste any more money on this since the issue came back ... I got no clue what it's going on in that door panel ... a took it apart and everything look fine to me ... any idea ?
Interesting. When mine first stopped working it was incredibly cold (~5 degrees before wind chill), and my car was not starting, and then the door stopped working. With my door it feels like whatever connected the handle to the opening mechanism is no longer functioning and the handle is connected to nothing. I guess I will have to take the door off when it warms up and poke around a bit....its a huge pain in the *** dropping anyone off cause I have to get out and run around to their side....at least everyone thinks I am a super gentleman always opening the door for my girl

sadik - any warranty on the dealers work? That is usually a main reason for going to them. I am a broke college student and can't afford a dealer trip, but just curious as to what it cost to have them "fix" the door?

edit: to you guys that also have door problems, do your power locks work? That was my first thought with mine (esp since the car wasn't starting when this first happened so I thought it may be battery related), but they work fine even on that door.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:06 AM
1st Gear

My car is a 2000 so no more warranty ( it only cost me labor and I think they worked 1.5h on the door )... and the power locks work fine... and one thing you can do instead doing the valet guy for your passenger is to drop there window and they can open it from the outside ... still, not really classy but it work !!

Originally Posted by cbg
Interesting. When mine first stopped working it was incredibly cold (~5 degrees before wind chill), and my car was not starting, and then the door stopped working. With my door it feels like whatever connected the handle to the opening mechanism is no longer functioning and the handle is connected to nothing. I guess I will have to take the door off when it warms up and poke around a bit....its a huge pain in the *** dropping anyone off cause I have to get out and run around to their side....at least everyone thinks I am a super gentleman always opening the door for my girl

sadik - any warranty on the dealers work? That is usually a main reason for going to them. I am a broke college student and can't afford a dealer trip, but just curious as to what it cost to have them "fix" the door?

edit: to you guys that also have door problems, do your power locks work? That was my first thought with mine (esp since the car wasn't starting when this first happened so I thought it may be battery related), but they work fine even on that door.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:46 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sadik666
Did you ever solve the problem?

Old 09-09-2018, 08:41 AM
1st Gear

If your problem is not the child-proof locks, then the cable -- or the end of its housing -- that connects the interior door handle to the lock mechanism has come loose. Pretty easy fix after you lift out the interior door panel (not difficult, but follow instructions precisely). Been there ... done that -- driver's door on my 1996 A4. My cable was attached at both ends, but the end of the housing moved whenever I pulled the cable, instead of being held in place. The latch opens only if the cable moves while its housing remains stationary. Make sure you align, route, and point the cable as instructed.

Last edited by John_E; 09-09-2018 at 08:46 AM.