B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Driver's Rear Window Control Doesn't Work

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:41 PM
2nd Gear
Default Driver's Rear Window Control Doesn't Work

My driver's side rear window won't go up using the driver controls. I can use the driver control to put the window down. If I use the control on the rear door panel, it works fine. All other windows work correctly using the driver controls or using their respective door panel controls.

At first nothing worked so I removed the rear door panel, thinking it was the regulator. I've removed the motor and found that it worked using the rear door panel control. I reinstalled the motor and thought everything was fixed until I tried the driver controls. Again, the driver controls will only operate the motor in the down/opening direction and the door panel operates the motor in both directions.

I've looked at this post and found that this is not the problem from what I can tell: http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=20523653

This posting is the closest to my problem, but here he's stated that the problem is the regulator which I can rule out because the window does not roll down once at the top and the motor doesn't struggle. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-Regulator-Fix

The problem seems to be electrical. My next guess is that the motor itself is malfunctioning internally. My second guess is that a wire came loose somewhere and is no longer grounded or powered.

It rained Sunday, and the problem may have started then as I can't remember if I used my rear windows since then. I only opened that rear door twice before noticing the problem.

A little more Googling found me this: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/61...-cost-fix.html Hopefully a good clean will remedy this.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by Skythe; 07-06-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:48 PM
2nd Gear

I found the problem after removing my driver door panel. The module that the button on the driver control attaches to did infact get wet on Sunday. I'll be looking through a part out or shopping online.

Relatively easy fix as I worked my way through it.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:40 AM
2nd Gear

NEW but RELATED problem.

I haven't put the new driver control module/switch in for my left rear window, but.... now when I put the key in the door to lock and roll up the windows at once, the left rear window moves before all of the other ones

When the motor was off, I ran it in one direction as I was testing it. As far as I know, the motor spinning in one direction shouldn't have any affect. But the more I think about it, the more I'm not so convinced. That specific motor is turning before the other 3 door motors turn. This makes me thing the problem is in the motor or somewhere else and not in the regulator's position. This isn't a huge issue as I don't usually use my key to roll down or roll up the windows, but I'd like to get it fixed incase something comes up and I don't realize one window is half way down. Ya never know

Any ideas? (I feel like I'm talking to myself haha)

Old 07-08-2011, 10:07 AM
2nd Gear

LOL, we're listening, but I don't have the foggiest. Hopefully someone who has had experience with this will chime in.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:26 PM
2nd Gear

Haha

I make these posts in the event that someone else has this or a similar issue (and they search for it online).

I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes and reset the one touch window feature. Everything works as it should.