B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

driving on bad wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

Yea, this week I'm gonna take care of it.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:19 AM
1st Gear

Ok SPhilli911 , post your results

Old 03-25-2009, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

mines going bad aswell drivers side rear been for a few weeks sounded like a rotor grinding till i got down and pushed on the wheel itself wobbles a bit

was wondering if i need any special tools for it or if im gonna need to have the new one pressed in

just so i dont take the hub off adn realize i need a shop and have no way to get there lol

Old 03-26-2009, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

The dealer wanted $108 for a new rear, left bearing. That would have been fine if I had the knowledge to put it on myself.. so I brought it to my mechanic and $260 later my car is quiet again!

Old 03-28-2009, 01:06 AM
1st Gear

@SPhill911
Congratulation
@Sidewayzracer
yes you need a press at least 20 ton ,mine dead it but not that easy , a torque wrench , a caliper press for your pads but be cheerful emergency break are on the same caliper you need a special press which is turning and pressing , if you pressing only you can brake the cam inside the caliper and bye bye hand brake , the rest just common tools,
I have one bearing left , original OEM if you need it it's $65 shipped
part# 8D0 598 625 A

Last edited by razvy; 03-28-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:03 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by razvy
yes you need a press at least 20 ton
What!? You trying to make a diamond out of it??

You shouldn't need more than 2 tons of pressure. Most shops only have a 6 ton press. If they do trans work, a 10 ton press. A 20 ton press is serious. I've seen a 40 ton, but it was ruled unsafe and all units were destroyed or sent back!

If you need more than 4 tons to get the bearing moving, you can heat the wheel carrier with a torch.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:16 AM
1st Gear

The only think I can think in 2 ton is a arbor press ? minimum 12 ton and it's struggles when it removes you can see the lower frame bending this bearings are not a joke , this guy is using a 12 tone and probably was wishing for a 20 http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1523627

Old 03-30-2009, 12:12 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Tweaked
What!? You trying to make a diamond out of it??

You shouldn't need more than 2 tons of pressure. Most shops only have a 6 ton press. If they do trans work, a 10 ton press. A 20 ton press is serious. I've seen a 40 ton, but it was ruled unsafe and all units were destroyed or sent back!

If you need more than 4 tons to get the bearing moving, you can heat the wheel carrier with a torch.
Um not really.... Our shop uses a 20 ton press and it has had a hard time on some things. Particularly front CV shafts on Subaru's. I had the hub and axle out and on the press and sprayed the **** out of it w/ rust penetrant and left it tightened down on the CV overnight and it didn't come till I cranked it down again in the morning.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:18 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by somebody5788
Um not really.... Our shop uses a 20 ton press and it has had a hard time on some things. Particularly front CV shafts on Subaru's. I had the hub and axle out and on the press and sprayed the **** out of it w/ rust penetrant and left it tightened down on the CV overnight and it didn't come till I cranked it down again in the morning.
Subaru wheel bearings are a much different story than Audi/VW. Audi/VW bearings can actually be done on the car with a new hand-held hydraulic press that puts out less than 2 tons. It is a serious PITA to use and cumbersome, but it worked (though most of us still used the shop press). Audi/VW axles also pop out of the hubs usually with no more pressure than a good whack with a deadblow.

I think the worst I ever came across was a badly rusted Cayenne (Toureg) front wheel bearing (failed seal and a lot of off-roading in Mexico). I used about 4 tons of pressure before I began to hear creaking. By 6 tons, the wheel carrier lost a chunk of the seat for the bearing due to stress. I was able to salvage it, but I nearly ruined the carrier. The other side, I heated the carrier with a torch and it came out like butter. Rust penetrate wont seep down to where the bearing is as the machined surfaces are so tight. Use a torch if it's that bad and warm the carrier.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:21 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by razvy
The only think I can think in 2 ton is a arbor press ? minimum 12 ton and it's struggles when it removes you can see the lower frame bending this bearings are not a joke , this guy is using a 12 tone and probably was wishing for a 20 http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1523627
Again, you're talking another brand. Audi/VW is nothing like a DSM or Mitsu.

Quick Reply: driving on bad wheel bearing