B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

DV valve in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by underglow450
I have a hyperboost diverter valve.
I have the bottom of it facing down, and the pipe that comes out the side going into the intake piping.
I have mine in the same way you do, I have a turboxs type H dv. Is that better that way or to switch it?

Old 10-27-2010, 05:55 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Based on what I've read, diaphragm-style DV's like the one that comes stock on a 1.8T and the 710n should be installed the "right" way. And piston-style DV's like the forge 007 should be installed in reverse. I still haven't found a definitive answer as to why, but i'm still a turbo n00b lol
Correct way for each type of valve.

Diaphram
Boost to side of valve
Return to bottom of valve

If you put the boost on the bottom of the diaphram type valve you end up with with pressure being put on both sides of the diaphram. Valve pushing up on the center of the diphram and pressure from the IM pushing on the outer part of the diaphram. When the diaphram heats up with both pushing at the same time the diaphram rips.

Piston type
Boost to bottom of valve
Return to side of valve

Putting it this way allows the pressure from the turbo to help open the valve quicker. If you put it in backwards you end up with boost pushing on the side of the valve forcing it against 1 side of the valve body, this can also cause the valve to start leaking since the valve is not sitting 100% straight.

Originally Posted by joenelson7687
The spring keeps it closed at idle. When you build boost, the air (meaning the vac port on the top) pushes on it more to keep it closed. When you release the throttle, there is no longer that air pushing on the piston and the compressed air thats built up in your pipes will push the valve up releasing the air thats charged in the system. When theres no more pressure in the pipes to keep the spring compressed, the valve sits back down again. Surge is when there is not enough pressure in the pipes to open the valve (or push it up, if you will) and that air trys to escape through the turbo.
The vac line going to the top of the valve supplies pressure/vacuum depending on the position of the TB. So when you are on the throttle the vac line is under presssure to hold the valve closed, when you lift off the throttle it becomes vacuum to open the valve up.

The spring is actually there to set how much vacuum is needed to open the valve.

Surge happens when the pressure in the pipes cant get out quick enough, causing the pressure to back into the spinning compressor wheel. Basically the surge is just like cavitation.

BTW even at idle the turbo is still spinning enough to make some pressure in the IC pipes.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 10-27-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

Reverse install of 710n DV will result in failure, at the path of least resistance - ie; blown boost pressure "h" hose(2.7T), at the clamp/mating junction. Technically, you're getting about 50% optimized boost, when that hose tears. Ask me how I know.....

Old 08-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Old thread is old.