B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ECS Wire vs. Ross Tech wire and Vag Com question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:28 AM
2nd Gear
Default ECS Wire vs. Ross Tech wire and Vag Com question

Hey guys,

So I am looking to order an OBD2 to USB wire so I can hook my car up to vag com. Now I heard that the ECS tuning wire sometimes doesnt work or is limited, is that true? Is it worth spending the extra money to buy it off the ross-tech site?

Also what am I able to do with the shareware version of vag com? Would I be able to cycle the ABS pump? Clear codes?

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2010, 01:05 PM
5th Gear

what's limited is the programming not the cable. the ross-tech cable is expensive but it's much more robust and made of better material. i bought my cable off ebay from a seller named alpha-bid. they have instructions on their page of exactly how to setup the software to work on xp. i've never heard of the cable not working on xp but i've heard of several cases where the software just won't work on vista. i have no news on windows 7 though.

the ebay cable will allow you to clear codes, check a limited number of measuring blocks, log, set certain comfort settings. i'm not sure about cycling the ABS pump although i will be trying that in the next 2 weeks or so when i have free time.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:34 PM
2nd Gear

So what you're saying is a cable is a cable, either you can connect or you cant. I use XP so I dont think I will have any problems connecting.

Does anyone know if the shareware version of vag-com allows the option to cycle the ABS pump?

Old 05-08-2010, 08:17 AM
2nd Gear

Anybody know?

Old 05-08-2010, 06:36 PM
2nd Gear

After doing some research I found that the procedure to cycle the pump is as follows:

Procedure for Bleeding the ABS Brake Pump in many older VW Passat and Audi A4/S4, A6/S6, and A8/S8:

[Select]
[03 - ABS Brakes]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 002
[Go!]

This will trigger the ABS pump to turn on for about 10 seconds. You should hear the fairly loud pump clicking during this time.

Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.

And then I consulted the table of functions available for each version: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html

And it would seem that "Basic Settings" are not offered on the free license so my guess would be that you cannot cycle the abs pump on the free version of vag com.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

Old 05-08-2010, 09:09 PM
5th Gear

well not all cables work but that specific seller's cable always work.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:18 AM
2nd Gear

Good to know. But what about the free version of vag com?

Old 05-09-2010, 02:05 AM
4th Gear

If ross-tech says it isnt available in the free version, its not. The only way your going to get the full version is to buy thier cable, pay for the 'full' license and hope someone else's cable works, or hack it. The available hacks leave something to be desired and hacking doesn't support the makers of a fine program, so I don't recommend it.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:52 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah if ross-tech says it's not available it's not. I have that same one from alpha-bid and works flawlessly in XP, 7 & Linux. Sometimes you can get lucky and find an actual ross-tech cable on ebay and just pay the $100 for the full version. Worth a shot anyway. All just depends on what you want to do with it.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:30 AM
5th Gear

you can use any of them but 409 works the best from what i'm seen.

Quick Reply: ECS Wire vs. Ross Tech wire and Vag Com question