B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Engine Build aftermath questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 10:36 AM
2nd Gear
Default Engine Build aftermath questions

So my car is finally runnin now, with forged wiseco pistons and ie forged rods. I get a phone call from my dad today who says they are trying to drive it and the car is boosting ridiculously fast and it is nearly undrivable. Im used to the k04 spooling ridiculously fast but with the compression down to 8.8:1 or so i think it wouldnt be like this, and they made it sound like it would boost continuously. So im thinking its the n75 valve right? I run an H version but i have this feeling that they put something in backwards in the plumbing, i dont know what or have any ideas. Help would be appreciated till i get more info later today...

Edit! Also, im 275 miles away from my car and cant deal with this on my own so... poor communication has already made this build a difficult process.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Engine Build aftermath questions

It just sounds like people that didnt drive it before not used to the "spooling at idle" turbo. I wouldnt worry to much about it unless they have a good amount of seat time before the build. You could of also had poor compression and made performace laking.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:10 PM
2nd Gear

Cincy, sorry i should have changed what i said, as my dad put it, it has unlimited boost, the turbo spools and doesnt stop according to the boost gauge.
Sounds like a wastegate malfuction ey? Or they didnt hook it up correctly

Old 03-29-2008, 05:20 PM
2nd Gear

Also, where can i find a diagram of the n75? i need to explain what lines go into the n75 so the mechanic can get it right, i think this is what is tripping them up.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:22 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: khj677turbo

Cincy, sorry i should have changed what i said, as my dad put it, it has unlimited boost, the turbo spools and doesnt stop according to the boost gauge.
Sounds like a wastegate malfuction ey? Or they didnt hook it up correctly
haha, that make a LOT more sense than your first description.

but overboosting would indicate a bad n75. but was it bad before the build? because that's an odd time to have it go bad unless it was damaged in the process of removing/installing your motor.. sounds to me that maybe they either didn't connect the wastegate vacuum hose. or there's a leak in it

Old 03-29-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm make believe

^ all possible. Im with you, its doubtful that it died just sitting.

n75 goes: nipple on turbo > n75 > wastegate. Make sure all the lines are in the correct orientation.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:28 PM
2nd Gear

Sean, the n75 is pretty new, yeah, it could have been damaged, i have the stock one that im going to suggest they put on since im running the race one (h). But im almost positive they failed to hook it up correctly, there are alot of things going on here and it can be confusing, especially when they dont specialize on the vag motors.

So i am 100% correct that it has to deal with the wastegate??? To be honest the car has never had so many things replaced and is now 100% (they found some leaks going to the intercooler) so i dont know how it is exaclty supposed to perform, but its a stock ko4 file, it should be doing 25psi max.

Can you give me that diagram? i think that would be helpful for them. I hate being so far away from the car and being pretty much useless![:@]

Old 03-29-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm make believe

Old 03-29-2008, 05:39 PM

I remember a while back chaos9278...had a thread and i think it was colled unlimited boost, where the N75 was installed backwards....or sumthing similar to that effect

in his old thread he eventually figured out that it was something really small and simply overseen...

I'll try to find the thread

Old 03-29-2008, 05:41 PM
2nd Gear

please do, i looked before i posted, i didnt find it, dunno why, but i do remember that post very well

Quick Reply: Engine Build aftermath questions