B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Engine difference

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 05:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine difference

Ok so got a 2000 Audi a4 b5 1.8t had blown motor atw. So swapped it with the motor from my wrecked 2000 trunks says also atw but where I would be on the head is shaved off so can tell if it really is atw. We'll my issuse is both cars had good rear o2 sensors. We'll swapped motor over everything's running good but I get three check engine codes all for the rear o2 sensors so my question is how do you determine the difference between the Atw and the aeb because they list the o2 sensors as to totally different ones and was wondering if the motor could be an aeb instead of an atw

Old 09-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Legal Moderator

if the engine you put in was in fact an aeb, you'd have a code for vvt. I do believe atw's have vvt, and I know aeb's do not.

as for the issue, why did you even take the 02 sensor out? is it even plugged in?

Old 09-13-2013, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

Yes it was plugged in and took whole exhaust off the car cause we swapped the motor and trans together with whole subframe. Yes it's plugged in and what's vvt sorry

Old 09-13-2013, 09:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rmr1499
Yes it was plugged in and took whole exhaust off the car cause we swapped the motor and trans together with whole subframe. Yes it's plugged in and what's vvt sorry
Variable Valve Timing.

You would have more issues than that if you put an AEB in where an ATW should be. DBW instead of DBC. Also, You can compare the two injectors to each other and the ATW ones are different than the AEB. You may have bad O2 sensors or didn't hook them up correctly? Not totally sure.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:50 AM
Legal Moderator

we really need to know what you all swapped. the secondary 02 shouldnt have been swapped at all. the other engine surely wouldnt include a secondary 02 sensor. i'd say make sure the sensro is plugged in.

secondary 02 sensors arent that big of a deal anyways. i know it should work properly and we will help you get it that way, but dont think the car will explode with 3 codes that are about the secondary 02.

we need to know what you swapped because AEB and ATW are two different types of ecu's and they use different sensors. you could easily run an aeb engine in an atw engine bay, but a few things would need to be taken care of first

Old 09-14-2013, 03:47 AM
1st Gear

That's the problem idk what engine the car says atw that it came out of but there is in letters on the head because it was shaved off. And I need to fix it I'm not worried about it blowing up more of I need to pass emission test so I can get plates. And basically disconnected the whole harness off the chassis and then disconnected the drive shadt shift link cable and then unbolted tierods and upper strut bolts and then unbolted the subframe and pulled motor and tranny in one on the cradle with whole suspension and harness the. Simple did reverse order reinstalling it in the other body. There is one difference I notice though the valve covers are different one has no port off the back and the other has a port extruding out the back for like crankcase vent or something

Old 09-14-2013, 09:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rmr1499
That's the problem idk what engine the car says atw that it came out of but there is in letters on the head because it was shaved off. And I need to fix it I'm not worried about it blowing up more of I need to pass emission test so I can get plates. And basically disconnected the whole harness off the chassis and then disconnected the drive shadt shift link cable and then unbolted tierods and upper strut bolts and then unbolted the subframe and pulled motor and tranny in one on the cradle with whole suspension and harness the. Simple did reverse order reinstalling it in the other body. There is one difference I notice though the valve covers are different one has no port off the back and the other has a port extruding out the back for like crankcase vent or something
I do believe that extra port is SAIP (Secondary Air Intake port?) Don't quote me on that but that's what I heard. And that is only on the ATW engine. I wish I could be more of help, but I have no idea what would cause the O2 codes besides a bad O2 sensor. Maybe take it in for diagnostics and pay a shop to find the problem instead of guessing and throwing money at it. Get a sure answer and replace or fix the issue. Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 09-14-2013, 10:13 PM
1st Gear

If the secondary 02 sensor you are referring to is past the flex pipe and between the catalytic converter, you can replace that one with a 02 sensor dummy. If its the 02 sensor that's right after the exhaust manifold.. well you should replace that with a Bosch 02 sensor so it's getting the right info to your ECU.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:10 AM
1st Gear

Ok we'll I swapped the o2 sensor out and Ecu with original that came with motor even thought both Ecus are the same numbers. Runs alittle smoother I have to take it to autozone to check for check engine cause the lights burnt out in the cluster and they don't have individuAl bulbs like my 96 does. And also for some reason my obd2 won't scan the car it will scan my 96 will scan my 99 and my other 00 but not this 00 nor will my mechanics genesis won't read it either but autozones crappy scanner will. And the port off the valve cover is just capped off. Are you talking about the blower motor looking air pump because if so that is hooked up because I just had to replaced one of those cappy corogated plastic hose

Old 09-15-2013, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

The corrugated hoses are air lines that vent air into your secondary air intake system. The blower is the secondary air injection pump. It warms up your CAT's during cold starts when the car is in closed loop.

Quick Reply: Engine difference