B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Is the front passenger wheel hub something I can do myself?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 03:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Is the front passenger wheel hub something I can do myself?

What socket do I need to take off that center axle bolt that holds the hub onto the axle?

I guess I can take the bearing/hub assembly to a shop so they can pull them and press the new hub on?
I can get the new hub myself for $253 from Audi.

If I want a mechanic, I got a quote of $375 parts and labor for with hub from Audi. I checked his website and he doesn't list Audi as one of the makes he services but he mentions VW. He has good reviews.

Can he really mess up my car on this job? He already installed new rotors and they seem to have been done right. I usually do it myself but timing is bad. Next week is finals week too :/

Last edited by Frozenguy; 12-02-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Tech Certified

Special pulling & pressing tools are needed. I would not recommend trying the job unless you have the tools.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:07 PM
1st Gear

Can't I have a shop do the pulling/pressing and I'll do the rest?

Old 12-02-2013, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

The front axle bolt can require either a 17mm Allen or 26mm standard socket. The axle bolt must be replaced upon removal and the new one correctly torqued with the vehicle on the ground and the centre trim cap removed from the road wheel.

If you do not already have one, the Bentley workshop manual will outline the process for this type of operation and is necessary for other types of repairs you intend to perform yourself.

You can certainly remove the bearing carrier assembly and have a shop perform the hub replacement for you. It is probably a good idea to also replace the wheel bearing at the same time.

Depending on the climate the vehicle is operated in, removal of the bearing carrier can be quite a project as the through bolt for the upper control arms often corrodes in place or breaks when turned. Separating the lower ball joint from the bearing carrier without damaging the boot can also be difficult if corrosion is present.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:32 PM
1st Gear

Ok thanks!

I see some bearing kits that come with a new bolt.

The vehicle has been operated inland, dry area, not too dusty, moderate temp year round (~50-90 on average)

If the through bolt for upper control arm breaks, what are my options?

Thanks!

Anyone see any problem with replacing the bearing on one side and not the other?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:34 PM
1st Gear
Old 12-02-2013, 11:00 PM
1st Gear

Try to stick with OEM unless you are on a really tight budget. Then again, if you were on that really tight budget, you shouldn't have purchased this vehicle.

Aftermarket can get the job done, but the parts are flimsy sometimes. Your call.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

Ok I'll stick with oem, thanks.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

I think removing the hub is going to pull the bearing apart, but if you are in there you should have the bearing replaced anyway. the best thing to do is remove the wheel bearing housing and take it to a shop with your new hub and new bearing and have them press it out and back in. There should be many DIY here about that process, but the main problem is the pinch bolt up top. you will need MAPP gas heat and a big hammer and that bolt and nut will not be reusable if you have to beat it out. and leave the ABS sensor in the housing and just unplug it up in the wheel well.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:52 AM
1st Gear

Ok thanks for the suggestions.

I'll just get a new bearing and hub, have the shop press those, and I'll toss the old bearing/hub.

As for this pinch bolt, i don't
have mapp heat. Any other options If it won't go nicely? From what I've read, I don't expect it
to go Nicely

Quick Reply: Is the front passenger wheel hub something I can do myself?